John B. Fairbanks diaries
Scope and Contents
Handwritten diaries with typescripts of several items. The diaries have many gaps. They principally cover the time Fairbanks served as a missionary for the Mormon Church in the Southern States Mission from 1881 to 1883 and when he served as a missionary for the same faith in South and Central America from 1900 to 1902. On the second mission, Fairbanks accompanied the "Cluff" expedition; led by Benjamin Cluff, president of the Brigham Young Academy in Provo, Utah; to find evidence supporting the historicity of the Book of Mormon. Also included is a pamphlet on the art career of Fairbanks for an exhibit at the world's fair in Chicago in 1933. A painting by Fairbanks of the Magdalena River was placed in the Brigham Young University Art Gallery in 1974.
- Fairbanks, John B. (John Boylston), 1855-1940 (creator, Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Open for public research.
Conditions Governing Use
It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from John B. Fairbanks diaries must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
John B. Fairbanks (1855-1940) was a Mormon farmer and artist who lived in Payson, Utah.
1 box (0.5 linear ft.)
Language of Materials
19th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts.
Existence and Location of Copies
Typescripts of 11 volumes of journals and some loose sheets available in Box 1 at the end of the collection.
- Artists -- Utah -- History
- Brigham Young Academy. South American Expedition (1900-1901)
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints -- Missions -- Southern States
- Cluff, Benjamin, Jr., 1858-1948
- Electronic books
- Missions and Missionaries
- Mormon missionaries -- Southern States -- Diaries
- Mormons -- Utah -- Payson -- History
- Payson (Utah) -- History
- Register of John B. Fairbanks diaries
- Amy Perez
- 2011 February 28
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English in Latin script.
Part of the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Repository
Brigham Young University
Provo Utah 84602 United States