John Stillman Woodbury diaries
Collection — Multiple Containers
Identifier: MSS 168
Scope and Contents
Handwritten diaries for the years 1851, 1853 to 1855, 1857, and 1876 to 1877. These are all missionary journals kept on various missions for the Mormon Church to Hawaii. Woodbury comments on visits from Mormon Church Apostles and writes about leaving Utah for Hawaii during the Mormon "Reformation" in 1857 and being called to return to face the approach of the U.S. Army.
- Woodbury, John Stillman, 1825-1914 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Open for public research.
Conditions Governing Use
It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from John Stillman Woodbury diaries must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
Mormon missionary in Hawaii.
13 v. (0.5 linear ft.)
19th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts.
Photographs have been transferred to the photoarchives number P-180.
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints -- Missions -- Hawaii -- History
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints -- Apostles -- History
- Electronic books
- Hawaii -- History -- To 1893
- Missions and Missionaries
- Mormons -- Hawaii -- History
- Utah Expedition (1857-1858)
- Woodbury, John Stillman, 1825-1914 -- Diaries
- Register of John Stillman Woodbury diaries
- Megan Furcini
- 2011 February 28
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English in Latin script.