Benjamin Franklin Cummings diaries and an autobiography
Collection — Multiple Containers
Identifier: MSS 164
Scope and Contents
Handwritten diaries including an autobiography. Cummings' autobiography covers his early life when he lived in Ohio and Navuoo, Illinois, served on a mission to Maine, and left Illinois for Utah. Cummings' diaries tell about his mission to the Indians in Idaho in the "Salmon River Mission," his service during the "Utah Expedition" of 1857-1858, his various encounters with Indians, his mission to Iowa in 1878 and 1879, and his life in Ogden and Salt Lake City, Utah. Also included is a typescript of one of the diaries.
- Cummings, Benjamin Franklin (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Open for public research.
Conditions Governing Use
It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Diaries and an autobiography must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
Mormon pioneer and missionary.
6 items : + 1 typescript
19th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts.
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints
- Cummings, Benjamin Franklin
- Fort Lemhi (Idaho)
- Indians of North America -- Idaho -- History -- Sources
- Missions and Missionaries
- Mormon missionaries -- Idaho -- History -- Sources
- Mormon missionaries -- Iowa -- History -- Sources
- Mormon missionaries -- Maine -- History -- Sources
- Mormon pioneers -- History
- Mormons -- Illinois -- Nauvoo -- History
- Nauvoo (Ill.) -- History
- Ogden (Utah) -- History
- Salt Lake City (Utah) -- History
- Utah Expedition (1857-1858) -- Sources
- Register of Benjamin Franklin Cummings diaries and an autobiography
- Andrea Wyss
- 2011 February 28
- Description rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English in Latin script.