Andrew Jackson Allen autobiography and diary
Scope and Contents
Photocopy of a microfilm copy of a typescript of an autobiography and diary. Allen writes about his youth in Kentucky and move to Missouri after he joined the Mormon Church. He later moved to Nauvoo, Illinois, and joined the Mormon exodus to Utah in 1847. He tells about the hardships of early settlement in Salt Lake City, Utah. His diary starts in 1857. It has many gaps and entries were often months apart. He writes about the "Utah War;" his work on the railroad in 1868 and 1869; his contact with Brigham Young, second president of the Mormon Church; his mission to the Indians of Arizona in 1873; and gives his opinion of the establishment of the United Order.
- Allen, Andrew Jackson, 1818-1884 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Open for public research.
Conditions Governing Use
It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Andrew Jackson Allen autobiography and diary must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
Allen was a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints and was a pioneer to Utah.
1 item (147 p.)(0.10 linear ft.)
These records were photocopied from the the 920 microfilm collection reel 11.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Photocopied from the the 920 microfilm collection reel 11.
19th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts.
Existence and Location of Copies
The first 99 pages of this record are available in Speciall Collections BX8670.1 .AL54a 1983.
- Allen, Andrew Jackson, 1818-1884 -- Diaries
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints -- Missions
- Home and Family
- Indians of North America -- Arizona
- Mormon pioneers
- Mormons -- Illinois -- Nauvoo -- History
- Mormons -- Missouri -- History
- Nauvoo (Ill.) -- History
- Salt Lake City (Utah) -- History
- Social Life and Customs
- United orders (Mormon Church)
- Utah Expedition (1857-1858) -- Sources
- Young, Brigham, 1801-1877
- Register of Andrew Jackson Allen autobiography and diary
- Benjamin Sipes
- 2011 February 23
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English in Latin script.