History of William Adams written by himself January 1894 age 72 years
Scope and Contents
Photocopy of a microfilmed copy of a typescript. The item is a 26 page autobiography of William Adams. Adams describes how was born in Ireland on January 8, 1822. He was raised a Protestant but joined the Mormon Church in 1842. He migrated to the United States up the Mississippi River. He settled in Nauvoo, Illinois, where he worked as a stone mason on the Nauvoo Temple. Adams was present at a meeting after the death of Joseph Smith, the first president of the Mormon Church. "I heard a voice speaking, I was surprized and jumped to my feet expecting Joseph the prophet was speaking, having heard him often in public and private was acquainted with his voice. This was a strong testimony that the twelve apostles was the rightfull leaders of the church. And the mantle of Joseph had fell on Brigham Young." He migrated to Salt Lake City, Utah, and then relocated to Parowan, Utah, in 1851. He writes about his mission and the problems with his family when he took a second wife.
- Adams, William, 1822-1901 (author, Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Open for public research.
Conditions Governing Use
It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from History of William Adams written by himself January 1894 age 72 years must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
1 folder (0.01 linear ft.)
Language of Materials
This item was photocopied from reel 1 of the 920 microfilm collection.
19th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts.
Formerly in film call number: 920 no. 1.
- Adams, William, 1822-1901
- Immigration and American Expansion
- Mormon missionaries
- Mormons -- Illinois -- Nauvoo
- Mormons -- Utah -- Parowan
- Mormons -- Utah -- Salt Lake City
- Nauvoo (Ill.)
- Parowan (Utah)
- Polygamy -- Religious aspects -- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
- Salt Lake City (Utah)
- Register of History of William Adams written by himself January 1894 age 72 years
- Garrett Schroath
- 2011 February 18
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English in Latin script.