Skip to main content

Polysophical Society minutes

 Collection — Multiple Containers
Identifier: MSS SC 2879

Scope and Contents

Two pages of handwritten minutes of the society's first two meetings, held in the Lewis Building at Brigham Young Academy on November 30 and December 7, 1877. Minutes include summary of Karl G. Maeser's comments on the society's functions, and qualifications for membership. The society's first president was Joseph Keeler, a recent Brigham Young Academy graduate. Minutes recorded by Fannie Rogers, secretary.

Dates

  • 1877

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

Original restricted. Photocopy and transcript available for patron use. Microfilm copy open without restriction.

Conditions Governing Use

It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Polysophical Society minutes must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.

Administrative History

The Polysophical Society (1878-1903) was a student organization for public speaking at Brigham Young Academy.

The Polysophical Society was established by Principal Karl G. Maeser during the second term of the second academic year of Brigham Young Academy. The Society provided evening lectures for the community, allowing students the opportunity to engage in public speaking. Guest speakers from outside the Academy also presented at this events.

Beginning in 1900, the Society began to transition away from providing speakers to acting as a lecture bureau. This included providing both lectures and musical performances as part of their schedule. Season tickets for these events were sold at a nominal price.

Extent

2 folders (0.02 linear ft.)

Language

English

Custodial History

Fannie Rogers kept minutes of society meetings until her death in 1880. Her family gave the 1877 minutes to her fiance, Josph B. Keeler. After Keeler's death in 1935 the document remained in possession of his family. The Joseph B. Keeler collection was donated by his son, Daniel M. Keeler, to Brigham Young University in 1989. Because of their historical significance, the Polysophical minutes were separated from the Keeler collection and cataloged separately.

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Donated; Daniel M. Keeler and Virginia Christensen Keeler; 1989.

Appraisal

Students and student organizations (University Archives Collection Development Policy, V.b.v.2.c, October 2015).

Existence and Location of Copies

Photocopy of original available in Folder 2. Transcription available in Folder 2.
Title
Register of Polysophical Society minutes
Status
In Progress
Author
Benjamin Sipes
Date
2011 February 17
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin
Language of description note
Finding aid written in English in Latin script.

Repository Details

Part of the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Repository

Contact:
1130 HBLL
Brigham Young University
Provo Utah 84602 United States