J. Urban Allred diaries
Scope and Contents
Volume begins with autobiographical sketch concerning Allred's early life in Lehi, Utah. Diaries document his attendance at Brigham Young Academy, September 1892-May 1898; service as a Mormon missionary in Tennessee in the Southern States Mission, June 1898-July 1900; activities as a school teacher in Vernal, Utah, August 1900-May 1901; family life with Amelia May Hammond in Lehi, 1901-1910; and family life with Edna Bingham in Raymond, Alberta, and elsewhere, beginning in 1912. Diaries also document his short-term mission to Minnesota in North Central States Mission, December 1925-March 1926; genealogical missioin to North Carolina, November 1931-March 1932; genealogical research in Georgia, December 1932-March 1933; and activities in Logan, Utah, beginning 1937.
Diaries were transcribed by J. Urban Allred's children. Volume also includes trascript of J. Urban Allred patriarchal blessing; transcript of Amelia May Hammond Allred funeral program; copies of letters, photographs, and certificates; and family genealogical records.
- Allred, J. Urban (James Urban), 1874-1956 (Creator, Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Open for public research.
Conditions Governing Use
It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from J. Urban Allred diaries must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
1 volume (677 pages) ; 28 cm
Immediate Source of Acquisition
19th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts.
- Allred, Amelia May Hammond, 1877-1910
- Allred, Edna Bingham, 1889-1965
- Allred, J. Urban (James Urban), 1874-1956
- Brigham Young Academy -- Students -- Diaries
- Home and Family
- Lehi (Utah)
- Logan (Utah)
- Mormon Church -- Missions -- Middle West
- Mormon Church -- Missions -- Southern States
- Mormon missionaries
- North Carolina
- Provo (Utah)
- Raymond (Alta.)
- Social Life and Customs
- Vernal (Utah)
- Register of J. Urban Allred diaries
- Elisa Visick
- 2010 December 17
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English in Latin script.