An overland journey from San Francisco to New York by way of the Salt Lake City
Scope and Contents
Handwritten copy of an article published in the "Good Words and Sunday Magazine" on 1 June 1866 (vol. 7, pp. 380-393). After serving as a gunboat captain in British Columbia, Verney made the overland journey by stage coach from San Francisco, California to New York City in 1865. Verney was a well-educated traveler and his description of the overland route is extensive. Stage coach traveling was exhausting and Verney describes both the rough conditions and his fellow travelers. Trouble with Indians pervaded. Verney made an extended visit to Salt Lake City and met with Brigham Young and Heber C. Kimball. While unimpressed with Mormonism, he approved of Salt Lake City. The piece ends with Verney at the Fifth Avenue Hotel, New York City.
- Verney, Edmund Hope, 1838-1910 (Person)
Language of Materials
Materials are in English.
Conditions Governing Access
Open for public research.
Conditions Governing Use
It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from An overland journey from San Francisco to New York by way of the Salt Lake City must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
Prominent British citizen. Verney served in the Royal Navy for twenty-six years and was elected to four years' service in Parliament.
1 item (49 p.)(+ 1 photocopy 49 p.)(+ 1 typescript 50 p.)(0.09 linear ft.)
Purchased through Argosy Book Store in 1984.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Purchased; Argosy Book Store; 1984.
19th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts.
Existence and Location of Copies
Photocopy of original available in Folder 2. Transcription available in Folder 3.
- Great Britain. Royal Navy -- Officers--Diaries
- Immigration and American Expansion
- Kimball, Heber C. (Heber Chase), 1801-1868
- Overland Journeys to the Western United States
- Overland journeys to the Pacific
- Salt Lake City (Utah) -- Description and travel
- Verney, Edmund Hope, 1838-1910 -- Diaries
- Verney, Edmund Hope, 1838-1910
- West (U.S.) -- Description and travel
- Young, Brigham, 1801-1877
- An overland journey from San Francisco to New York by way of the Salt Lake City
- In Progress
- Benjamin Sipes
- 2010 October 4
- Description rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English in Latin script.