One handwritten court record. The item is a copy made in 1860 by William N. Keeny, clerk of Geauga County, of the original court record dated 1839. The Halsted Haines Co. sued Joseph Smith (1805-1844), Hyrum Smith, Olivery Cowdery, Sidney Rigdon, Brigham Young, and other Mormon Church leaders for redress in connection with questionable business practices. Since the defendants failed to appear when summoned, the plaintiffs were awarded $2337.35 plus expenses.
- Geauga County (Ohio) (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Open for public research.
Conditions Governing Use
It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Geauga County (Ohio) court record must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
1 folder (0.01 linear ft.)
County court in Ohio.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
19th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts.
- Actions and defenses
- Church Government
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints
- Civil Procedure and Courts
- Mormon Church -- History -- 19th century
- Mormons -- Ohio -- History
- Politics, Government, and Law
- Rigdon, Sidney, 1793-1876
- Smith, Hyrum, 1800-1844
- Smith, Joseph, Jr., 1805-1844
- Young, Brigham, 1801-1877
- Register of Geauga County (Ohio) court record
- Melissa Stephens
- 2010 September 14
- Description rules
- Language of description