Photocopy of typescript. Contains biographies of James Lake (1788-1874); Philomelia Smith Lake (1794-1873); James Lake, Sr. (1760- ); and George Lake (1838-1898) written by some of their grandchildren. Also includes autobiography of George Lake (1838-1898). Discusses the family's genealogy; their conversion to the Mormon Church in 1832; their migration with the Mormons to Ohio, Illinois, and Utah; illnesses and deaths in the family; life on the Utah frontier; George's mission in Great Britain (1869-1871); and the family's subsequent move to Arizona and Mexico to assist in establishing Mormon colonies there. George Lake's autobiography also discusses his participation in the Utah War and the flight of the Saints out of the path of Johnston's Army in 1858, as well as the impact the Mormon Reformation (1856-1857) had on his life.
Language of Materials
Materials are in English.
Conditions Governing Access
Open for public research.
Conditions Governing Use
It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Lake family biographies must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
Early converts to the Mormon Church; Utah and Arizona pioneers; first settlers in the Mormon colonies in Mexico.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
19th Century Mormon and Western Manuscripts.
- Frontier and pioneer life -- Utah -- Sources
- Home and Family
- Indians of North America
- Lake family
- Mormon Church -- Reformation, 1856-1857
- Mormon Church -- Utah -- History
- Mormon converts -- Biography
- Mormon missionaries -- Great Britain
- Mormons -- Colonization -- Arizona -- History
- Mormons -- Colonization -- Mexico -- History
- Mormons -- History
- Mormons -- Utah -- Biography
- Mormons -- Utah -- History
- Social Life and Customs
- Utah -- History -- 1847-1896 -- Sources
- Utah -- History -- 19th century
- Utah Expedition (1857-1858) -- Personal narratives
- Register of Lake family biographies
- Elisa Visick
- 2010 July 16
- Description rules
- Language of description