Chipman Mercantile Company records
- Chipman Mercantile Company (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Conditions Governing Use
3 cartons (3 linear ft.)
1 oversize box (1 linear ft.)
Chipman Mercantile Company was established by James Chipman, Arza Adams, and George Waterman in December of 1872. Adams and Waterman later sold their interests in the company, which was incorporated as Chipman Mercantile in June 1892, at which time Chapman's son Stephen became treasurer, director, and manager of the store. The building was remodeled in 1912, grossed $675,000 by 1929, and modernized again in 1944. Originally, the store consisted of general merchandise departments, as well as a flour mill, hardware store, and lumber store. It added a food store by the 1970s, and grossed one-and-a-half million dollars by 1971. Chipman Mercantile Company closed in 1979, with Leo G. Meredith as general manager and treasurer.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Illustrates the way business was run in American Fork, Utah.
Processed; Amanda Clark; 2006.
Processed; Elizabeth Ballif, student processor, and John M. Murphy, curator; 2011.
- Register of Chipman Mercantile Company ledger
- Karen Glenn and H. Christine Swindler, student processors, and John Murphy, curator
- Description rules
- Language of description
- 2011 August 4: Materials added to the collection by Elizabeth Ballif in August 2011.