John Peter Sorensen papers
Scope and Contents
Collection includes diaries, genealogy, finanical records, and an autobiography, dated from 1879 to 1920. Sorensen writes about his dreams, family, finances, and opinions of various books, church meetings, and the doctrine of plural marriage. He also tells about his experiences as a missionary for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in New Zealand, Australia, Denmark, and Sweden. Genealogy records included in a family record detailing the births, marriages, and deaths of John Peter Sorensen, his wives, and their children, dating up to 1920. Also includes a financial record book dating from 1907 for Pioneer Nursery Company, but which was also used to record financial information by descendants or others up to 1970.
Copies of volumes 1-20 on microfiche and compact disk are also included in the collection.
- Sorensen, John Peter, 1837-1909 (creator, Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Original journals are restricted due to condition. Microfiche and digital copies available for public use.
Conditions Governing Use
It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to use material from this collection must be obtained from Reference Services at firstname.lastname@example.org.
John Peter Sorensen (1837-1909) was a Latter-day saint convert who was a ship carpenter, furniture store owner, and missionary.
John Peter Sorensen was born October 17, 1837 in Denmark. He traveled the world as a ship carpenter before settling in Salt Lake and joining The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. He went on a mission to New Zealand in 1879 and to Denmark in 1887. He married Eva Gyllenskog in 1872, Olivia Monson in 1882, and Alma Charlotte Samuelson in 1883, and was sealed to six other women. He died on December 20, 1909 in Salt Lake City.
2 boxes (1 linear ft.)
7 folders ((0.35 linear ft).) : microfiche
Language of Materials
Donated by David Arnold White and Mrs. Samuel Francis in 1976.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Donated; David Arnold White and Mrs. Samuel Francis; 1976.
LDS cultural, social, and religious history (19th Century Mormon and Western Manuscripts collection development policy IV.a.i.1 November 2013).
Existence and Location of Copies
Digital copy of volumes 1-20 available on compact disk in Box 2 folder 6. Microfiche copy of volumes 1-20 stored separately.
Processed; Mary Downs; 2009. Updated; Ryan Lee; 2019.
- Carpenters -- Utah -- Diaries
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints -- Missions
- Financial records
- Missions and Missionaries
- Mormon missionaries -- Australia
- Mormon missionaries -- Denmark
- Mormon missionaries -- Diaries
- Mormon missionaries -- New Zealand
- Mormon missionaries -- Sweden
- Mormons -- Utah -- Diaries
- Sorensen, John Peter, 1837-1909 -- Diaries
- Register of John Peter Sorensen papers
- Under Revision
- Mary Downs, student processor and John Murphy, curator
- 2009 June 10
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English in Latin script.