Mormon Battalion Association records
Scope and Contents
Materials include reports, minutes, biographies, correspondence, histories, newsletters, and other materials from the Mormon Battalion Association and its earlier women's auxiliary organization, both of which were headquartered in Lehi, Utah. The materials document the activities and governance of these organizations, as well as the history of the original Mormon Battalion of 1846-1847. Materials date from between 1846 and 2012.
- Mormon Battalion Association (creator, Organization)
- Mormon Battalion Association. Auxiliary (contributor, Organization)
- U.S. Mormon Battalion, Inc. (creator, Organization)
- U.S. Mormon Battalion, Inc. Auxiliary (contributor, Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Open for public research.
Conditions Governing Use
It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to use material from this collection must be obtained from Reference Services at email@example.com.
U.S. Mormon Battalion, Inc. was established in 1954 in response to a proposal by David O. McKay, president of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. The goals of the organization included perpetuating the memory of Battalion, fulfilling the prophecy of Brigham Young that the soldiers would be held in honorable remembrance, marking the graves of Battalion members, and marking the Battalion's trail.
The organization was formed into companies in California and the Great Basin, Utah.
The Auxiliary of the Mormon Battalion Association (2006-2010) was a branch of the Mormon Battalion Association, responsible for commemorating the contributions of women to the Mormon Battalion. Previous to its disbanding and integration into the Mormon Battalion Association in 2010, the organization was headquartered in Utah.
The Mormon Battalion Association was formed in 2006 in a division and reorganization of the earlier U.S. Mormon Battalion, Inc. The primary purpose of the group is to memorialize the original members of the Mormon Battalion. To do so, members engage in a range of community service and historical research, as well as seeking to enhance individual faith.
The Mormon Battalion Association is headquartered in Lehi, Utah.
The Auxiliary of U.S. Mormon Battalion, Inc. (1960-2006) was an organization that preserved the history of women in the Mormon Battalion. The Mormon Battalion Auxiliary was organized in January 1960 in a basement room at the State Capitol of Utah. Mary Stevenson Goodman was appointed as the first auxiliary president. For over forty years the Auxiliary worked along with Mormon Battalion, Inc. to preserve the history of the Battalion. In 2006, the Auxiliary was incorporated into the main body of the Mormon Battalion.
54 boxes (27 linear ft.)
1 folder (0.01 linear ft.)
6 oversize boxes (2.25 linear ft.)
1 oversize folder (0.3 linear ft.)
Language of Materials
Arranged into three series: 1. Mormon Battalion Association collection of Auxiliary records, 1901-2012. 2. Mormon Battalion Association records, 1846-2011. 3. Mormon Battalion Association records on the Friends of the Battalion, 2012.
Donated by the Richard H. Bullock on behalf of the Mormon Battalion Association in 2012.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Donated; Richard H. Bullock; 2012.
Utah and the American West and LDS cultural, social, and religious history (20th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts collection development policy 5.VII, August 2007.)
The Mormon Battalion Association records contain records regarding the history of the Mormon Battalion.
Processed; Pete Hoyt, student manuscript processor, and John M. Murphy, curator; 2012.
Processed; Karen Glenn; 2020. Added unprocessed oversize items.
- Register of the Mormon Battalion Association records
- Peter Hoyt
- 2012 August 29
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English in Latin script.
- 2020 March: Added unprocessed oversize items; Karen Glenn.
Part of the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Repository
Brigham Young University
Provo Utah 84602 United States