Skip to main content

Geneva Steel Holdings Corporation records

 Collection
Identifier: MSS 3122

Scope and Contents

Collection consists of personnel and reference files, publications, and other corporate administrative records of the Geneva Steel Holdings Corporation, created between its establishment in 1942 and 2002. Also includes architectural drawings, photographs, negatives, slides, and videos.

Dates

  • 1939-2002

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

Privacy restricted; permission to use materials must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services.

Conditions Governing Use

It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Geneva Steel Holdings Corporation records must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.

Biographical / Historical

Geneva Steel Holdings Corporation was established in 2001, as part of the bankruptcy reorganization of Geneva Steel. The corporation separated its activity from the production of steel, which was done by its subsidiary company Geneva Steel LLC. Geneva Steel Holdings Corporation stopped production at Geneva Steel LLC in late 2001, and sold off its assets to Quingdao Iron in 2004.

Biographical / Historical

Columbia Steel Company's Defense Plant Division administered the Geneva Steel Plant for the Defense Plant Corporation between 1943 and 1946.

Biographical / Historical

Geneva Steel Company was established in 1946, and administered the Geneva Steel Plant in Vineyard, Utah. The company merged with United States Steel Corporation in 1951.

Biographical / Historical

The Geneva Works unit of the Columbia-Geneva Division of United States Steel was formed in 1951, and administered the Geneva Steel Plant in Vineyard, Utah until 1962. At that time the company organization was modified, with the new title of United States Steel, Geneva Works. Geneva Works continued management of the plant until 1986.

Biographical / Historical

Basic Manufacturing Technologies Company of Utah purchased the Geneva Steel Plant in 1987 from United States Steel Corporation. In 1988 it changed its name to Geneva Steel, continuing operations until a bankruptcy reorganization in 2001.

Extent

839 Linear Feet

Language

English

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Donated; Geneva Steel Holdings Corporation.

Appraisal

Western American business and labor history (20th century Western & Mormon Manuscripts collection development policy, 5.II, 2007).
Title
Register of Geneva Steel Holdings Corporation records
Author
Elizabeth Wood, student manuscript processor and John M. Murphy, Curator.
Date
2011 September 13
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin
Language of description note
Finding aid written in English in Latin script.

Repository Details

Part of the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Repository

Contact:
1130 HBLL
Brigham Young University
Provo Utah 84602 United States