Roy Tea papers
Scope and Contents
Contains research by Tea on Western trails that includes maps of Mormon, explorer, emigration, and Spanish trails from Colorado to California, booklets of Utah monument trails, and information on the Hastings Cutoff Trail in Utah. Also includes various correspondence, newspapers clippngs, photographs, and research notes related to Roy Tea's work as an engineer. Also includes tour guides and books about the Utah area, UDOT manuals and materials guides, Lincoln Highway Forum magazines, Overland Journal magazines, 5.5 in. floppy disks, DVDs, photographs, and personal letters to Tea. Contains journals documenting work on both the Oregon Trail and Antelope Island project. Also contains various drafts of Tea's writings on his work with trails and as a tour guide and letters and pamphlets from related conferences. Dated approximately 1958 to 2012.
- approximately 1958-2012
- Tea, Roy (creator, Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Open for public research.
Conditions Governing Use
It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to use material from this collection must be obtained from Reference Services at email@example.com.
Roy Tea was born and raised in the Salt Lake Valley, Utah. He was the youngest of thirteen children. After graduating high school he enlisted in the army and spent a year in Japan. He then attended Brigham Young University and received a B.S. in geology. He earned his professional engineer license while working at the Utah State Department of Transportation. He worked on highways as a materials engineer for 35 years. While working on the Interstate 80 route he came upon the Hastings/Donner-Reed Trail and since then spent much of his free time locating and marking it. He also worked heavily on the Antelope Island project. He was a member of the Oregon-California Trails Association, Utah Crossroads Chapter and the Lincoln Highway Association. Tea passed away in 2017.
8 cartons (8 linear ft.)
5 boxes (2.5 linear ft.)
7 oversize folders (1.5 linear ft.)
1 folder (0.01 linear ft.)
Language of Materials
Donated by Roy Tea in various installments, including in 2008, 2010, 2014 and 2018.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Donated; Roy Tea; 2008, 2010, 2014, 2018.
Utah and the American West and LDS cultural, social, and religious history (20th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts collection development policy 5.VII, August 2007).
Includes information on historic trails that cross through Utah.
Processed; Melissa Cowles, student processor, and John Murphy, curator; 2008.
Processed; Audrey Spainhower, student processor, and John Murphy, curator; 2010.
Processed by Margaret Weddle; student processor, and John M. Murphy, curator; 2013 and 2015.
Processed; Ashley Chase; 2021.
- News from the Plains (9 issues); Overland Journal (5 issues); Oregon California Trails Association Utah Crossroads; Folio the newsletter of The Patrice Press; The Salt Lake Cutoff: Hensley's Road to Gold; Fort Hall "Hub of the West." A Guide to Eight Historic Trails in Utah. Report to Directors of the Lincoln Highway on Route Efficiency. Cycles quarterly (20 issues); RetiremenTalk (2 issues); Windows to Jordan Schools annual report; The Lincoln Highway Forum (3 issues); Lincoln Highway Association (2 brochures, 1 membership directory); Bidwell Mansion State Historic Park brochure; Roll on, Columbia! River Trail of History; 20th Annual Convention of the Oregon-California Trails Association.
- Various maps
- Arts, Humanities, and Social Sciences
- Explorers -- West (U.S.)
- Floppy disks
- Immigration and American Expansion
- Lincoln Highway Association
- Oregon-California Trails Association
- Overland Journeys to the Western United States
- Overland journeys to the Pacific
- Tea, Roy -- Archives
- Utah. State Department of Highways
- Register of Roy Tea papers
- Melissa Cowles, Audrey Spainhwoer, Ashley Chase
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English in Latin script.
- Carton: 1 (Mixed Materials)
- Carton: 2 (Mixed Materials)
- Carton: 3 (Mixed Materials)
- Box: 4 (Mixed Materials)
- Box: 5 (Mixed Materials)
- Box: 6 (Mixed Materials)
- Box: 7 (Mixed Materials)
- Folder: 8 (Mixed Materials)
- oversize-folder: 2 (Mixed Materials)
- oversize-folder: 3 (Mixed Materials)
- oversize-folder: 4 (Mixed Materials)
- oversize-folder: 5 (Mixed Materials)
- Folder: 1 (Mixed Materials)
- Folder: 9 (Mixed Materials)
- Carton: 15 (Mixed Materials)
- Carton: 16 (Mixed Materials)
- Folder: 17 (Graphic Materials)
- Box: 18 (Mixed Materials)
- Carton: 19 (Mixed Materials)
- Carton: 20 (Mixed Materials)
- Carton: 21 (Mixed Materials)
- Carton: 22 (Mixed Materials)
- Carton: 23 (Graphic Materials)