Skip to main content

Ladies' Literary Club notebooks and programs

 Collection — Multiple Containers
Identifier: MSS 1601

Scope and Contents

Materials consist of handwritten and printed record books and programs of the meetings of the Ladies' Literary Club of Provo between the years 1924 and 1971. Collection also contains several scrapbooks on the history of the Ladies' Literary Club, including newspaper clippings about them, programs from their events, and obituaries of prominent members. Finally, also included are notebooks with meeting minutes contained within them. Dated 1924-2005.

Dates

  • 1924-2005

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

Open for public research.

Conditions Governing Use

It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Ladies' Literary Club notebooks and programs must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.

Administrative History

The Ladies’ Literary Club (est. 1877) was a club dedicated to the education of women and children. The Ladies’ Literary Club was organized in February 1877 in the home of Mrs. Tina R. Jones. The original club was one of twelve chapters founded in America and was the first west of the Mississippi River. The club was open to all women. Its purpose was to provide an environment where ladies could educate themselves and each other in many different aspects of culture and knowledge. Thus, the club was divided into sections including art, drama, music, literature, history, and others. The club as a whole met monthly, but the sections met separately on a regular basis. In December 1882, the club was officially incorporated under the laws of the Territory of Utah, and on January 7, 1898, the formal opening of their first clubhouse took place. The club brought about the first free public library in the area, in support of the Masonic Library. They also established the first free kindergartens, placement of art in local schools, traveling libraries, and a scholarship fund at the University of Utah. In 1977, the Club building was listed in the National Register of Historic Places. In 2013, the Club gifted the building to the Utah Heritage Foundation. The club is still in operation.

Extent

1 carton (1 linear ft.)

2 boxes (1 linear ft.)

Language

English

Arrangement

Retained in original order.

Custodial History

Donated by Martha Proctor Flanders in 2010.

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Donated; Martha Proctor Flanders; 2010.

Appraisal

LDS, Utah, and Western American women (20th century Western & Mormon Manuscripts collection development policy, 5.V, 2007).

Pertains to a literary club organized by some women in Utah.

General

This item was formerly accessioned under the number A77-44.

Processing Information

Processed; Kelsey Samuelsen, student manuscripts processor, and John M. Murphy, curator; 2013.
Title
Register of Ladies' Literary Club notebooks and programs
Status
Completed
Author
Andrea Wyss
Date
2011 March 10
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin
Language of description note
Finding aid written in English in Latin script.

Repository Details

Part of the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Repository

Contact:
1130 HBLL
Brigham Young University
Provo Utah 84602 United States