Don McCarroll Dalton papers
Scope and Contents
Correspondence, diaries, articles, scrapbooks, newspaper clippings, and certificates. The correspondents include various leaders of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Dalton's mother, and other friends and associates. The diaries cover the time when Dalton served on a mission for the Church in the Central States from 1914 to 1916, when he was with the United States armed forces in France from 1918 to 1919, and when he served as a mission in South Africa from 1929 to 1935. Many of the materials relate to Dalton's political activities in Utah.
- Dalton, Don McCarroll (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Open for public research.
Conditions Governing Use
It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Papers must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
Don DcCarroll Dalton (1895-1979) was a Latter-day Saint rancher, lawyer, and mission president.
Don McCarroll Dalton was born on May 12, 1895, in Manassa, Colorado to John C. Dalton and Hannah Daphne Smith. He served as a missionary in the Central States mission from 1914-1016. On Decenber 28, 1917, he married Myrtle Geneva Jorgensen. He then enlisted in the army and was stationed in Paris from 1918-1919 during World War I. He served another mission in the Eastern States mission from 1927-1928. In 1929, he was called to serve as the mission president of the South Africa mission of the Church, a calling which he filled from 1929 to 1935.
Dalton was an attorney by profession, practicing law in the state of Utah. He also was active in politics. He died on January 6, 1979, in Salt Lake City, Utah.
6 boxes (3 linear ft.)
Other Finding Aids
Finding aid available in repository.
Other Finding Aids
File-level inventory available online. http://files.lib.byu.edu/ead/XML/MSS1059.xml
Utah and the American West and LDS cultural, social, and religious history (20th century Western & Mormon Manuscripts collection development policy, 5.VII, 2007).
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints -- Missions--South Africa--History
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints -- Missions--Middle West--History
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints -- Presidents--Correspondence
- Clippings (Books, newspapers, etc.)
- Dalton, Don McCarroll -- Diaries
- Dalton, Hannah Daphne Smith, 1857-
- Immigration and American Expansion
- Lawyers -- Utah -- History
- Mormon Church -- Apostles
- Mormons -- South Africa -- History
- World War, 1914-1918 -- Campaigns -- France -- History
- World War, 1914-1918 -- Personal narratives, American
- Register of Don McCarroll Dalton papers
- Megan Furcini
- 2011 March 3
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English in Latin script.