Jesse M. Harmon family papers
Scope and Contents
Collection consists of materials by and about the Jesse M. Harmon family. Of particular focus are Jesse M. Harmon, who was a prominent member of the community in Provo, Utah, and his father Appleton Milo Harmon, who was an original pioneer to Utah in 1847, and was known for constructing the odometer invented by William Clayton. Includes biographical and genealogical sketches of several family members, newspaper clippings, journal transcripts, family newsletters, and other documents used in the creation of related family history publications. Also includes some documents related to the Women's Muncipal Council of Provo. Materials dated approximately 1868 to 1989.
- approximately 1868-1989
- Harmon (Family : Harmon, Jesse M. (Jesse Martin), 1868-1922) (creator, Family)
Conditions Governing Access
Open for public research.
Conditions Governing Use
It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to use material from this collection must be obtained from Reference Services at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Biographical / Historical
The Harmon family was established with the marriage of Jesse M. Harmon (1868-1922) and Sarah Ellen Holman (1870-1949) on December 27, 1892, in Holden, Utah. They had nine children together. The family lived mainly in Utah County. Sarah helped organize the Provo Women's Council and was the first vice president. Jesse was the president of the Provo Commercial club for two terms and the Utah County sheriff for three terms, among other positions. Both were prominent members of the Provo community. Jesse died January 14, 1922, in Provo, Utah. Sarah died July 12, 1949, in Los Angeles, California.
2 boxes (1 linear ft.)
Language of Materials
Donated by the Jesse M. Harmon family in 1990.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Donated; Jesse M. Harmon family; 1990.
Utah and Western American and LDS cultural, family, social, intellectual, and religious history (19th Century Mormon and Western Manuscripts collection development policy, IV.a.i.1 and 4, November 2013)
- Clippings (Books, newspapers, etc.)
- Family histories
- Harmon family
- Harmon, Appleton Milo, 1820-1877
- Harmon, Jesse M. (Jesse Martin), 1868-1922
- Immigration and American Expansion
- Mormon pioneers -- Diaries
- Mormon women -- Utah -- Provo -- History
- Mormons -- Emigration and immigration
- Mormons -- Utah -- Utah County -- History
- Research (Documents)
- Register of Jesse M. Harmon family papers
- In Progress
- Rebecca A. Wiederhold, Technical Services Archivist
- 2019 August 30
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English in Latin script.