Orrin James Olsen collection on Orrin Orlando Barrus and Mary Elizabeth Clark Barrus family
Scope and Contents
- Olsen, Orrin James, 1953- (Collector, Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Conditions Governing Use
Orrin James Olsen was born in Logan, Utah and graduated from Orem High School in 1971. He attended Brigham Young University and graduated with a degree in Business Management. There he played college football until graduating. In 1976, he was drafted by the Kansas City Chiefs, playing one season. He married in 1974 and had seven children with his wife, Sandra Robison Olsen. He currently works for LDS Philanthropies.
Orrin Orlando Barrus was born in Grantsville, Utah. At the age of 21 he attended "LDS College" and, two years after his graduation, left for a two and half year LDS mission to Samoa. Following his mission, he married Mary Elizabeth Clark and taught school in Wyoming. He also farmed. After 12 years of marriage, he and his wife were called on a mission to the Catawba Indian Nation in South Carolina from 1908 to 1910. After their return, they moved frequently between Utah and Wyoming. He served in various church callings after that, including in the Logan Temple. He died in 1958.
Mary Elizabeth Clark Barrus was born in Farmington, Utah, in 1873. She attended the first LDS Primary and later on went to "LDS College," where she met her future husband, Orrin Orlando Barrus. Mary taught school throughout Utah. From 1908 to 1910, she and her husband served a mission to the Catawba Indian Nation in South Carolina. After that, they and their family moved several times between Logan, Utah, and Star Valley, Wyoming, until finally settling down in Logan. She worked extensively in the Logan temple and in other callings within the church. She died in 1961.
Orlando Clark Barrus was born in Fairview, Wyoming. As a young man, he left for South Carolina and Georgia to serve a mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. He died on August 8, 1922, in a swimming accident while serving his mission.
Lucy August Rice Clark was born March 5, 1850, in Farmington, Utah. She married Timothy Baldwin Clark in 1867 in Salt Lake City, and had 11 children. Lucy was very active in local and state political affairs, acted as postmistress for 8 years and was state vice president of the suffrage association. She died November 13, 1928, in Salt Lake City.
Merle Barrus Olsen was born in Fairview, Wyoming to Orrin and Mary Elizabeth Barrus. She graduated from Utah State University in 1936 with a teaching degree. She married in Logan, Utah, in 1938, and had 9 children with her husband. The two served two missions together for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. On September 10, 2007, Merle passed away in Logan.
Biographical / Historical
Frederick Andrew Turley was born in Snowflake, Arizona on August 4, 1895. At the age of 20, he was called to serve in the Rochester and Palmyra New York mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints from 1915 to 1917. After his mission he entered the armed forces during WWI, where he was commissioned 2nd Lieutenant right before the end of the war. He was married in 1920, and continued serving in the Church, including additional missions with his wife. He did cattle ranching throughout his life. Frederick died in 1981, in Mesa, Arizona.
2 boxes (1 linear ft.)
1 oversize box (0.6 linear ft.)
Other Finding Aids
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Processed; Andrew VanDomelen, student manuscript processor, and John Murphy, curator; 2019.
- Barrus, Mary Elizabeth Clark, 1873-1961 -- Archives
- Barrus, Orlando Clark, 1902-1922
- Barrus, Orrin Orlando, 1870-1958
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints -- Missions -- Southern States -- History
- Church officers -- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
- Clark, Lucy A. Rice
- Evangelistic work -- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints -- History -- 20th century
- Family records
- Missions and Missionaries
- Mormon missionaries -- Southern States
- Olsen, Merle Barrus, 1913-2007
- Poetry -- Women authors
- Stevenson, Edward, 1820-1897
- Turley, Fred, 1895-1981
- Olsen, Orrin James, 1953- (Collector, Person)
- Barrus, Mary Elizabeth Clark, 1873-1961 (Contributor, Person)
- Barrus, Orrin Orlando, 1870-1958 (Contributor, Person)
- Barrus, Orlando Clark, 1902-1922 (Contributor, Person)
- Olsen, Merle Barrus, 1913-2007 (Contributor, Person)
- Clark, Lucy A. Rice (Contributor, Person)
- Turley, Fred, 1895-1981 (Contributor, Person)
- Register of Orrin James Olsen collection on Orrin Orlando Barrus and Mary Elizabeth Clark Barrus family
- Andrew VanDomelen
- 2019 May 7
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English in Latin script.