George W. Romney Institute of Public Management collection on George W. Romney
- George W. Romney Institute of Public Management (Creator, Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Conditions Governing Use
Permission to publish material from George W. Romney Institute of Public Management collection on George W. Romney must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
4 cartons (4 linear ft.)
1 box (0.5 linear ft.)
1 oversize box (0.75 linear ft.)
A professional education in public administration at Brigham Young University began in the mid-1960s with a Master of Science degree offered through the Department of Political Science. Within ten years, in an effort to better prepare students for careers in the public sector, the degree was changed to a Master of Public Administration and administered by the recently established Institute of Public Management. The Institute emphasized a vital focus on improving management practice in government, communities, and other arenas for public service, and later became part of the newly established BYU School of Management (later named the Marriott School of Management). In 1998, the Institute was renamed in order to reflect the values and work ethic of George W. Romney, former governor of Michigan. Romney’s ideals of public service, volunteerism, personal integrity, and working for the greater good encapsulate the goals of the Institute. The George W. Romney Institute of Public Management seeks to create graduates who will exemplify these ideals as servants to the public.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
George W. Romney was a businessman and politician, served as governor of Michigan, ran for president of the United States, and is the namesake of the Romney Institute of Public Management at Brigham Young University.
- Brigham Young University
- Business, Industry, Labor, and Commerce
- Civic Activism
- Clippings (Books, newspapers, etc.)
- Pins (Jewelry)
- Political Campaigns
- Politics, Government, and Law
- Romney, George W., 1907-1995
- Romney, Mitt
- Speeches, addresses, etc., American
- Register of George W. Romney Institute of Public Management collection on George W. Romney
- John M. Murphy, curator, and Audrey Spainhower, student manuscript processor
- 2010 November
- Description rules
- Language of description
- 2011 June / 2012 May: Four cartons and one box added to collection and finding aid revised to illustrate those additions by Elizabeth Ballif, student manuscript processor, in June 2011.Value-Added processing done by Kelsey Samuelsen, student processor, in May 2012.