John Andreas Widtsoe letters
Scope and Contents
Typewritten letters addressed to S. Norman Lee and dated 9 Oct. 1947 and 15 Nov. 1949. Widtsoe responds to Lee's questions on the doctrines of the Mormon Chuch. Witsoe writes that the Word of Wisdom prohibition of "hot drinks" means that coffee, tea, cola drinks, and the South American drink called "Mate" are unacceptable because they contain caffeine. He also writes that Blacks will eventually be given the priesthood in the Mormon Church. He further states that the second president of the Mormon Church, Brigham Young, said that on a number of occasions. Widtsoe adds that the seventh president of the Mormon Church, Heber J. Grant, ordered him to edit out such statements from the "Discourses of Brigham Young" when Widstoe edited them.
- Widtsoe, John Andreas, 1872-1952 (Person)
Language of Materials
Materials are in English.
Conditions Governing Access
Open for public research.
Conditions Governing Use
It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from John Andreas Widtsoe letters must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
Apostle in the Mormon Church.
2 items (4 p.)(0.02 linear ft.)
Utah and the American West and LDS cultural, social, and religious history (20th century Western and Mormon Manuscripts collection development policy, 5.VII, 2007).
- African American Mormons
- Church Government
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints -- Doctrines--History
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints -- Apostles--Correspondence
- Lee, S. Norman (Severin Norman), 1875-1963
- Mate (Tea)
- Race relations -- Religious aspects -- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
- Word of wisdom
- Register of John Andreas Widtsoe letters
- In Progress
- Benjamin Sipes
- 2010 November 19
- Description rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English in Latin script.