Skip to main content

Peter G. Czerny collection

 Collection — Multiple Containers
Identifier: MSS 8663

Scope and Contents

Contains 16 and 35mm release prints and answer prints of and relating to the LDS Motion Picture Studios (and the BYU Motion Picture Studios) from approximately 1930-1985. The films were created for educational, missionary-related, and other purposes. They describe the cultural and religious history of the Mormon faith in the 19th and 20th centuries.

Dates

  • approximately 1930-1985

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

Condition restricted; patrons should use DVD reference copies. Permission to use originals must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services.

Conditions Governing Use

It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from the Peter G. Czerny collection must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.

Biographical History

Peter G. Czerny (1941- ) is a Mormon film editor in Utah.

Peter G. Czerny was born in Guben, Germany, in 1941 to Mormon converts. Following World War II, he and his family lived in what became East Germany until 1952, when his family escaped into West Germany. A year later they moved to Clearfield, Utah. Czerny served a mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Austria and also spent two years in the armed forces. He graduated from the University of Utah, and in the early 1970's was employed at the Brigham Young University Motion Picture Studio in Provo, Utah as a film editor. He also hosted the KBYU-FM radio broadcast "The Rare Beethoven."

Biographical History

T. C. Christensen (1953- ) is a Mormon American filmmaker in Utah.

Tom C. Christensen was born in 1953 and grew up in Layton, Utah. He studied filmmaking at Brigham Young University and at the University of Utah. He has made many films about the prophet Joseph Smith and has made many other films associated with Mormonism and the West.

Administrative History

LDS Motion Picture Studios (1991- ) is a motion picture production company owned and operated by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

The company was founded in 1953 as the BYU Motion Picture Studios, but later separated from the University and in 1991 became LDS Motion Picture Studios, a directly operated function of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. The studios produce films for missionary work, educational purposes, home and family use, and other church-related purposes.

Extent

156 film boxes (39 linear ft.)

Language

English

Arrangement

Arranged alphabetically by film title; no original order.

Custodial History

The majority of films in this collection were created by the BYU Motion Picture Studio and the LDS Motion Picture Studio. Peter Czerny, an employee there, collected films when they were discarded by the studio and donated them to BYU in 2015.

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Donated; Peter Czerny; 2014.

Appraisal

LDS Motion Picture Production. BYU Motion Picture production. 20th century LDS Filmmakers in the West. Motion pictures (Motion picture archives).

Creator

Title
Register of Peter G. Czerny collection
Status
Completed
Author
Mary-Celeste Ricks
Date
2015 February 15
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin
Language of description note
Finding aid written in English in Latin script.

Repository Details

Part of the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Repository

Contact:
1130 HBLL
Brigham Young University
Provo Utah 84602 United States