Photographs of the First Presidency and Quorum of the Twelve Apostles under President John Taylor
Collection — oversize: 1
Identifier: MSS 3712
This large framed photo montage consists of images of the First Presidency and Quorum of the Twelve Apostles in 1881. The photographs are arranged in order of seniority: President John Taylor, Orson Pratt, Wilford Woodruff, Charles C. Rich, Lorenzo Snow, Erastus Snow, Franklin D. Richards, George Q. Cannon (1st Counselor), Joseph F. Smith (2nd Counselor), Brigham Young Jr., Albert Carrington, Moses Thatcher, Francis M. Lyman, and John Henry Smith. Around each photo is the man's age, stature (height), weight, complexion, birth date, eye color, hair color, form, and education. The photo mat is labeled "Our Friends", and is hand decorated with depictions of a beehive, two bushels of wheat, and several wild flowers. The photographs were taken before October of 1881 (Orson Pratt died that month).
Conditions Governing Access
Open to public access; Kept in cold storage; access requires 24 hours advance notice.
Conditions Governing Use
It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Photographs of the First Presidency and Quorum of the Twelve Apostles under President John Taylor must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
1 oversize box
Biographical / Historical
John Taylor served as the 3rd president of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints from 1880 until his death in 1887.
L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University, Provo, Utah 84602.
This frames photograph montage was found on the dock of the library sometime in May 2006.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Photographs (Photograph Archives).
- Cannon, George Q. (George Quayle), 1827-1901
- Carrington, Albert, 1813-1889
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints -- Presidents
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. First Presidency
- Council of the Twelve Apostles (Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints) -- History--19th century
- Lyman, Francis M. (Francis Marion), 1840-1916
- Pratt, Orson, 1811-1881
- Richards, F. D. (Franklin Dewey), 1821-1899
- Salt Lake City (Utah)
- Smith, John Henry, 1848-1911
- Smith, Joseph F. (Joseph Fielding), 1838-1918
- Snow, Erastus Fairbanks, 1818-1888
- Snow, Lorenzo, 1814-1901
- Taylor, John, 1808-1887
- Thatcher, Moses, 1842-1909
- Woodruff, Wilford, 1807-1898
- Young, Brigham, 1801-1877
- Register of Photographs of the First Presidency and Quorum of the Twelve Apostles under President John Taylor
- Abe Austin
- 2012 April 04
- Description rules
- Language of description