Skip to main content

Brigham Young University college and department audio-visual materials, 1971-1995

 Series — Multiple Containers
Identifier: UA 940 Series 3

Scope and Contents

Collection of audio-visual materials from various Brigham Young University academic colleges and departments. Dated 1971-1995.

Dates

  • 1971-1995

Conditions Governing Access

Restricted. Closed for 50 years from the date of creation of the records, and thereafter open to the public in accordance with the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Restriction Policy. Requests to access restricted materials in the University Archives should be submitted to the University Archivist.

Conditions Governing Use

It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from the Motion Picture Studio audio-visual materials must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.

Administrative History

From the Collection: The Motion Picture Studio (1953-1990) was a support unit at Brigham Young University. It produced documentary, historical, and training films for use of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and in schools.

Within the Motion Picture Production was the Film Development Advisory Committee. That committee's functions were to review and select subjects for motion pictures, to review motion picture proposals to consider whether they should be approved for production, to review motion picture scripts and make recommendations for changes if necessary, to review marketing studies made on proposed motion pictures, to review budgets for proposed motion pictures, and to evaluate the overall marketing and advertising programs for educational motion pictures.

Originally the Motion Picture Studio reported directly to the president of the university. In 1959, the director of the Motion Picture Studio began reporting to the director of Auxiliary Services. In 1960, Auxiliary Services became the Vice-President of Auxiliary Services. The director of the Motion Picture Studio reported to this Vice-President until 1965 when the Division of Communications was created. Thereafter the director reported to the director of Communication Services, the Instructional Services Division, and the Division of Instructional Production Services.

In 1991 the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints moved the studio from Brigham Young University supervision to the Church. Directors of the Motion Picture Studio included Wetzel O. Whitaker (1953-1974), Jesse E. Stay (1974-1983), and Peter N. Johnson (1983-1990).

Extent

27 cartons

142 sound tape reels

109 videocassettes

8 sound cassettes

Language

English

Arrangement

Arranged into ten subseries: 1. Department of Music, Department of Dance, and performing groups audio-visual materials, 1972-1995. 2. Department of Dramatic Arts production audio-visual materials, 1977. 3. College of Education audio-visual materials, 1971-1995. 4. Intercollegiate Athletics audio-visual materials, 1980-1995. 5. Science Department audio-visual materials, 1981-1995. 6. Department of Art audio-visual materials, 1982-1995. 7. College of Family, Home, and Social Science audio-visual materials, 1980-1995. 8. Department of Computer Science audio-visual materials, 1988-1995. 9. Religious Education audio-visual materials, 1977-1995. 10. Brigham Young University department audio-visual materials, 1981-1995.

Other Finding Aids

Carton-level finding aid available in the repository.

Repository Details

Part of the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Repository

Contact:
1130 HBLL
Brigham Young University
Provo Utah 84602 United States