Skip to main content

Human Resource Services administrative documents, 1985-2005

 Series — Multiple Containers
Identifier: UA 5437 Series 2
Contains administrative level documents from the Administrative Advisory Vice President (AAVP) office, including minutes concerning the Administrative Advisory group, benefits review, campus safety, chemical hygiene, motor vehicles, the Office Professionals Advisory Committee (OPAC), position classification, student life, physical facilities, and radiation safety. Dated from 1985 to 2005.

Dates

  • 1985-2005

Conditions Governing Access

Restricted. Closed for 50 years from the date of creation of the records, and thereafter open to the public in accordance with the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Restriction Policy. Requests to access restricted materials in the University Archives should be submitted to the University Archivist.

Conditions Governing Use

It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from the Human Resource Services records must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.

Extent

18 folders

1 carton

Administrative History

The Placement Bureau existed from 1952 to 1961 and assisted with the placement of graduates and the employment of students.

The Placement Bureau was established in 1952 as a centralized organization to work with all college deans and department chairs of the University in the placement of graduates, as well as to provide a systematic and more effective service to students who needed and desired employment while attending school. The Placement Bureau developed and expanded from a part-time employment office and services that existed previously. In 1961, the Placement Bureau changed its name to the Placement Center. B. Keith Duffin was the director (1952-1961).
Administrative History The Department of University Personnel Services was founded in 1969 and became Human Resource Services in 1990 and dealt with the employment of personnel and faculty.

Because of the growth and success of the Placement Center and the Employment Office, these offices merged into the Department of University Personnel Services in 1969. Personnel Services was given a Director, B. Keith Duffin, who served until 1984. He was given the responsibilities of recruiting and recommending the employment of administrative personnel. The Placement Center and the Employment Office continued as subunits with their respective responsibilities. Duffin oversaw the Benefits Office, the Ad Hoc Age Discrimination Committee, Communication Committee, Pre-School Conference Committee for Administrative Personnel and Staff, and the Church Educational System Personnel and Employee Benefits Committee. He also completed a personnel policies and procedures book, organized a personnel program and administrative personnel, organized a training program, held meetings with various staff and committees (Leadership Training, Public Relations Coordinating, Retirement, Pre-School Conference, University Safety Committees, and the Student Financial Aids Council), and oversaw the Personnel Committee.

More subunits were created as Personnel Services continued to grow. Jay A. Adamson became the Managing Director of Personnel Services in August of 1984. In 1990, University Personnel Services became Human Resource Services, maintaining much of its structure.
Administrative History Human Resource Services is a department at Brigham Young University that deals with employment and was founded in 1990.

In 1990, University Personnel Services became Human Resource Services (HR). HR was run by Assistant Administrative Vice Presidents, who included: Carolyn P. Lloyd (1990-1994), R. Blair Condie (1996-1997), Carolyn Lloyd Henrie (1997-1999), R. Blair Condie (1999-2005), and Forrest L. Flake (2005- ).

Human Resource Services is the department that takes care of employment at Brigham Young University (BYU). The mission of the Brigham Young University Human Resource Services is to lead in building an environment that engenders excellence from all who work at BYU. Under the direction of the Administrative Vice President, the Assistant Administrative Vice President-Human Resource Services has responsibility for university human resource programs. This responsibility includes recruiting and hiring staff and administrative employees, maintaining personnel records, providing employment assistance for students, implementing and maintaining benefits programs, overseeing employee compensation, human resource development, organization development/consulting services, unemployment compensation, and service awards.

The Assistant Administrative Vice President-Human Resource Services has responsibility for Area HR Consultants, Compensation and Temple Eligibility Program, Employment Services, Equal Opportunity/Employee Relations and Benefit Services, Human Resource Development, and Human Resource Information Systems. As of 2011, the Assistant Administrative Vice President-Human Resource Services is Forrest Flake.

Within the Human Resource Services are many departments including Area HR Consultants, Awards & Recognition, Benefits, Student Employment, Equal Opportunity, HR Information Systems, Compensation, Ecclesiastical Clearance, Employee Relations, Human Resource Development, Office of the Assistant Administrative Vice President-Human Resource Services, and Staff & Administrative Employment.
Administrative History Brigham Young Universities Placement Center (1961-1995) was a campus administrative office that assisted students in find jobs after graduation.

Previously known as the Placement Bureau, the Placement Center took its name in 1961. In addition to providing services to graduating students, the center was also involved in student employment and non-academic university hiring. When it was first established the center reported directly to the university administration, but after 1969 it was placed under University Personnel Services. It was transferred again in 1985 to Placement and Employment Services, before the center was renamed in 1995 as Career Placement Services.The Placement Center at Brigham Young University was a campus administrative office that assisted students in find jobs after graduation. Previously known as the Placement Bureau, the Placement Center took its name in 1961. In addition to providing services to graduating students, the center was also involved in student employment and non-academic university hiring. When it was first established the center reported directly to the university administration, but after 1969 it was placed under University Personnel Services. It was transferred again in 1985 to Placement and Employment Services, before the center was renamed in 1995 as Career Placement Services.

Repository Details

Part of the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Repository

Contact:
1130 HBLL
Brigham Young University
Provo Utah 84602 United States