Skip to main content

School of Library and Information Sciences department reports, 1957-1992

 Series — Multiple Containers
Identifier: UA 1105 Series 5
Materials include department reports from the School of Library and Information Sciences. Included are financial reports, department annual reports, and the American Library Association (ALA) annual reports. Dated 1957-1992.

Dates

  • 1957-1992

Conditions Governing Access

Restricted. Closed for 50 years from the date of creation of the records, and thereafter open to the public in accordance with the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Restriction Policy. Requests to access restricted materials in the University Archives should be submitted to the University Archivist.

Conditions Governing Use

It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from School of Library and Information Sciences records must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.

Extent

5 boxes

Administrative History

The Graduate Department of Library and Information Sciences (1968-1975) was a department in the Brigham Young University Graduate School.

The Graduate Department of Library and Information Sciences was established in 1968 under the College of Education. The department prepared students for entry work in library science, and offered a variety of courses which allowed specialization in certain fields, including public, academic, school, scientific and technical librarianship; genealogical research; and information science. In 1975, the department became a separate college: the School of Library and Information Science.
Administrative History The Department of Library Science (1953-1955) was a department in the College of Education.

The Department of Library Science was established in 1953 under the College of Education. Courses in basic library work and book care were taught to students, and library science for teachers and adminstrators. The department was abolished in 1955 and became a program in the College of Education.
Administrative History The School of Library and Information Sciences (1976-1993) was a graduate program at Brigham Young University.

The School of Library and Information Sciences was established by Brigham Young University in 1976. Organized with the intent to better train librarians for the university, the school educated students so that they could use their abilities for better efficiency areas such as learning resource centers, instructional media centers, libraries, and information centers. In 1993, the school was closed by the university.

Other Finding Aids

A more detailed finding aid is available in the repository.
Other Finding Aids File-level inventory available online. http://files.lib.byu.edu/ead/XML/UA1105.xml

Repository Details

Part of the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Repository

Contact:
1130 HBLL
Brigham Young University
Provo Utah 84602 United States