Skip to main content

Department of Clothing and Textiles correspondence, 1974-1987

 Series — Box: 8
Identifier: UA 1125 Series 3

Scope and Contents

Contains departmental correspondence, including letters to students. Dated 1974-1987.

Dates

  • 1974-1987

Conditions Governing Access

Restricted. Closed for 50 years from the date of creation of the records, and thereafter open to the public in accordance with the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Restriction Policy. Requests to access restricted materials in the University Archives should be submitted to the University Archivist.

Conditions Governing Use

It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Department of Clothing and Textiles records must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Coordinating Committee.

Administrative History

From the Collection: The Department of Clothing and Textiles (1955-1999) was an academic department at Brigham Young University.

The department was established in 1955 in a reorganization of the earlier Department of Home Economics. It provided instruction and training on the apparel and textile industries. This included coursework in clothing design; understanding, selection, use and careof fabrics; and an appreciation for the history of costume and textiles.

The Department of Clothing and Textiles was placed in the College of Family Living in 1955. Previously it was a division within the Department of Home Economics. The Department of Clothing and Textiles was placed in the College of Family, Home, and Social Sciences in 1981. Department chairs included Eleanor Jorgenson (Acting Chair 1955-56 and Chair 1959-1961, 1966-1974), Margaret Schow Potter (1956-1959, 1961-1966), Charlene Lind (1974-1982), Marion C. J. Kuchar (1982-1987), Marvin J. Kuchar (1987-1995), and Charlene Lind (1995-1999).

Extent

1 box

Language

English