Skip to main content

College of Physical Education records on the Mutual Improvement Associations, 1957-1973

 Series — Multiple Containers
Identifier: UA 1140 Series 2

Scope and Contents

Contains dance calendars, choreography, handbooks, and dance cards related to the dance activities and festivals of the Mutual Improvement Associations. Dated 1957-1973.

Dates

  • 1957-1973

Conditions Governing Access

Restricted. Closed for 50 years from the date of creation of the records, and thereafter open to the public in accordance with the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Restriction Policy. Requests to access restricted materials in the University Archives should be submitted to the University Archivist.

Conditions Governing Use

It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Department of Dance records must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.

Administrative History

From the Collection: The Department of Dance (1993- ) was organized to focus on the instruction of dance at Brigham Young University.

The Department of Dance at Brigham Young University was originally established as the Department of Physical Education--Dance in 1980. Prior to that time, dance instruction was administered by the Department of Physical Education for Women, though it was treated as a division of the College of Physical Education. The Deparment of Dance became its own section of the college in 1993. The department provides instruction in dance, dance education, and music-dance-theater.

Administrative History

From the Collection: The Department of Physical Education--Dance (1980-1993) was a part of the College of Physical Education.

The Department of Physical Education--Dance was established in 1980 as part of a reorganization of the College of Physical Education. The department provided instruction in dance, dance education, and music-dance-theater. In 1993 the department was renamed the Department of Dance.

Administrative

From the Collection: The College of Physical Education (1960-1998) was a department of Brigham Young University.

The College of Physical Education was formed at Brigham Young University in 1960 in a reorganization of the earlier College of Recreation, Physical and Health Education, and Athletics. The college was responsible for administering academic departments responsible for recreation management, physical and health education, and dance. It also administered intramural sports, and intercollegiate sports until 1975. In 1998 it was renamed the College of Health and Human Performance.

Extent

3 boxes

Language

English