Skip to main content

Salt Lake Chapter records, 1949-1950

 Series — Box: 7, Folder: 4
Identifier: MSS 730 Series 5

Scope and Contents

Series contains pamphlets containing events and programs for the Salt Lake City chapter of the Yesharah Society for that year. Dated 1949-1950.

Dates

  • 1949-1950

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

Open for public research.

Conditions Governing Use

It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from the Yesharah Society records must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.

Administrative History

From the Collection: The Yesharah Society is an institution intended to provide returned sister missionaries for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints opportunities to continue acts of service and kindness in their communities.

In 1928 the first organization of lady returned missionaries was founded at the home of Inez Knight. The first members of this organization consisted of the first female missionaries for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. The name given to this newly formed society was Yesharah, meaning up-rightness and integrity. Since the founding of the Yesharah Society many other chapters have been formed throughout the state of Utah.

The Yesharah Society was formed with the express purpose of perpetuating the missionary spirit and to allow its members to give service within the community as well as to promote love, unity and precious friendships within the society. Service included: visiting the sick, writing to missionaries in the mission field, visiting convalescent homes and hospitals, supporting children’s institutions, visiting the families of those away at war, and donating membership histories and books to the Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. The Society continues to exist.

Extent

1 folder

Language

English