Department of Theatre and Cinematic Arts records on theatrical productions, 1963-1980
Scope and Contents
Conditions Governing Access
Conditions Governing Use
In 1967 the Department of Dramatic Arts and the Department of Speech were combined to form the Speech and Dramatic Arts Department. This department helped students prepare to become teachers, directors, actors, clinicians, or members of any one of several related professions. This department focused on two separate subjects, speech and dramatic arts. The speech portion offered a public address major and selected courses for personal development in argumentation and debate, communication theory, discussion, public speaking, rhetoric, and speech criticism. The dramatic acts curriculum was designed to lead to professional competency in teaching on the secondary level, in acting, directing, or playwriting, or in technical theatre.
Lael J. Woodbury (1967-1972) and Parley W. Newman (1972-1975) served as department chairs until 1975 when the department was renamed the Department of Theatre and Cinematic Arts.
The Department of Dramatic Arts was established following the split of the Dept. of Speech and Dramatic Arts. The department was housed within the College of Fine Arts and then, in 1964, the College of Fine Arts and Communications. Those who served as Department Chairmen were: Harold I. Hansen (1961-1966) and Lael J. Woodbury. In 1968 the curriculum taught in the Department of Dramatic Arts became part of the Department of Speech and Dramatic Arts.
The department was administered by a department chair, under direction of the college dean. The department was under the jurisdiction of the College of Fine Arts (1961-1964), as well as the College of Fine Arts and Communications (1964-1968).
In 1975 the Department of Speech and Dramatic Arts was renamed the Department of Theatre and Cinematic Arts. This department offered students a comprehensive education in the art, production, history, and technical elements of theatre, film, and videotape production. In 1987 it was renamed the Department of Theatre, Speech, and Cinema. Charles L. Metten (1976-1980) and Harold R. Oakes (1980-1987) served as department chairs during its existence.
Beverly Jean Warner was born in Petaluma, California to Edwin and Evalena Warner on October 30, 1938. Warner was involved in many aspects of theatre production. She was a makeup artist, theater director, seamstress, playwright, and costume designer. She died in Willits, California in 2011.
2 oversize boxes
- Brigham Young University. Department of Theatre and Cinematic Arts (Creator, Organization)
- Warner, Beverly Jean, 1938-2011 (Contributor, Person)
- Brigham Young University. Department of Dramatic Arts (Creator, Organization)
- Brigham Young University. Department of Speech and Dramatic Arts (1967-1975) (Creator, Organization)