Skip to main content

Department of Theatre and Film publications and meeting minutes, 1965-1996

 Series — Multiple Containers
Identifier: UA 1180 Series 5
Contains materials related to publications and publicity efforts of the Department of Theatre and Film. Materials include publicity notes, meeting minutes, and brochures for theatre productions. Dated 1965-1996.

Dates

  • 1965-1996

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

Restricted. Closed for 50 years from the date of creation of the records, and thereafter open to the public in accordance with the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Restriction Policy. Requests to access restricted materials in the University Archives should be submitted to the University Archivist.

Conditions Governing Use

It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from the Department of Theatre and Film records must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.

Extent

9 folders

5 boxes

1 carton

Administrative History

The Department of Speech (1929-1953) taught classes about speech technique and theatrical production development. It was later reorganized as the Department of Speech and Dramatic Arts.

The Department of Speech was created under the direction of the College of Fine Arts in 1929. It replaced the former Department of Public Speaking and Dramatic Art. Alonzo J. Morley served as Department Chair in 1930. T. Earl Pardoe from 1931 to 1951 and Harold I. Hansen from 1952 to 1953. The Department of Speech was responsible for teaching courses about speech techniques, public speaking, debate and theatrical performance and design. The Department was reorganized in 1953 as the Department of Speech and Dramatic Arts.
Administrative History The Department of Speech and Dramatic Arts (1953-1961) taught classes about speech, theatre and film and produced theatrical events. The Department was reorganized in 1961 as two new departments, the Deparment of Speech and the Department of Dramatic Arts.

The Department of Speech and Dramatic Arts was created in 1953 in the College of Fine Arts. In 1961, it was split administratively into the Department of Speech and the Department of Dramatic Arts. Faculty and courses continued to be shared between the two departments, however. Harold I. Hansen served as chairman from 1955-1961.The department supervised a wide variety of courses, covering material in theater and dramatic arts, public speaking, speech and hearing rehabilitation, radio and television, and general speech for teachers in secondary schools.
Administrative History The Department of Dramatic Arts (1961-1968) focused on preparing students at Brigham Young University for teaching in schools and to meet the competition in professional theatre, radio and television.

The Department of Dramatic Arts was established following the split of the Department of Speech and Dramatic Arts. The department was housed within the College of Fine Arts and then, in 1964, the College of Fine Arts and Communications. Those who served as Department Chairmen were: Harold I. Hansen (1961-1966) and Lael J. Woodbury. In 1968 the curriculum taught in the Department of Dramatic Arts became part of the Department of Speech and Dramatic Arts.The department was administered by a department chair, under direction of the college dean. The department was under the jurisdiction of the College of Fine Arts (1961-1964), as well as the College of Fine Arts and Communications (1964-1968).
Administrative History The Department of Speech (1961-1968) taught classes about public speaking and basic speech therapy. The Department was consolidated in 1968 to be part of the Department of Speech and Dramatic Arts.

In 1961 the Department of Speech was created when the Department of Speech and Dramatic Arts were divided into two independent departments. Morris M. Clinger served as department chair from 1961 to 1967. The Department of Speech offered courses that led to the Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Science, Master of Arts, and Master of Science in the areas of speech. Two concentrations were offered: public address and secondly speech science, speech correction and oral rehabilitation.
Administrative History The Speech and Dramatic Arts Department (1967-1975) was an instructional unit in the College of Fine Arts and Communications at Brigham Young University.

In 1967 the Department of Dramatic Arts and the Department of Speech were combined to form the Speech and Dramatic Arts Department. This department helped students prepare to become teachers, directors, actors, clinicians, or members of any one of several related professions. This department focused on two separate subjects: speech and dramatic arts. The speech portion offered a public address major and selected courses for personal development in argumentation and debate, communication theory, discussion, public speaking, rhetoric, and speech criticism. The dramatic acts curriculum was designed to lead to professional competency in teaching on the secondary level, in acting, directing, or playwriting, or in technical theatre. Lael J. Woodbury (1967-1972) and Parley W. Newman (1972-1975) served as department chairs until 1975 when the department was renamed the Department of Theatre and Cinematic Arts.
Administrative History The Department of Theatre and Cinematic Arts (1975-1987) was an instructional unit at Brigham Young University.

In 1975 the Department of Speech and Dramatic Arts was renamed the Department of Theatre and Cinematic Arts. This department offered students a comprehensive education in the art, production, history, and technical elements of theatre, film, and videotape production. In 1987 it was renamed the Department of Theatre, Speech, and Cinema. Charles L. Metten (1976-1980) and Harold R. Oakes (1980-1987) served as department chairs during its existence.
Administrative History The Department of Theatre, Speech and Cinema (1987-1988) taught classes and developed theatrical and cinematic productions. The Department was reorganized in 1988 as the Department of Theatre and Film.

The Department of Theatre, Speech and Cinema was formed in 1987 from the former Department of Theatre and Cinematic Arts. Harold R. Oaks served as the Department Chair served from 1987 to 1988. The Department taught classes related to theatre, film, dance and directing. The Department also produced musical, theatrical and film productions. The Department awarded Bachelor, Masters and Ph.D. degrees. In 1988 the Department was renamed the Department of Theatre and Film.
Administrative History The Department of Theatre and Film (1988-1997) taught classes about film and theatre and also produced theatrical and film productions. The Department was reorganized in 1997 as the Department of Theatre and Media Arts.

The Department of Theatre and Film was organized in 1988. Harold R. Oaks served as Department Chair from 1988 to 1994 and Eric Fielding served from 1994 to 1997. The Department of Theatre and Film was renamed as part of the reorganization of the Department of Theatre, Speech and Cinema in 1988. The two Department Chairs were Harold R. Oaks from 1988 to 1994, and Eric Fielding from 1994 to 1997. The department focused on the teaching and the development of productions related to theatre, speech, and cinematic study. In 1997 the department was reorganized as the Department of Theatre and Media Arts.
Administrative History The Department of Theatre and Media Arts (1997- ) teaches classes about theatre, cinema, artistic criticism and performance skills.

The Department of Theatre and Media Arts was part of the College of Fine Arts and Communications beginning in 1997. Previously, it was known as the Department of Theatre and Film. The Department Chairs were: Eric Fielding from 1997 to 1998, Robert A. Nelson from 1998 to 2005, Rodger D. Sorensen from 2005 to 2011, and Amy Petersen Jensen from 2011 to the present. The BYU theatre program is designed to educate the student in a basic foundation of dramatic literature, theatre history, performance skills as both actor and director, and techniques in all areas of theatre design technology and production. The BYU media arts program is designed to educate the student in a basic foundation of film history, theory, and criticism along with the fundamentals of media arts and production technology.
Biography Harold Rasmus Oaks was born June 20, 1936 in Provo, Utah. He attended grade schools in Vernal, Roosevelt, and North Ogden and graduated from Weber High School. He attended BYU, where he earned his BA in 1960 in Speech and Drama and his MA in 1962 in Theatre and Cinematic Arts. In 1964 he received his PhD from the University of Minnesota. He also taught two years each at Frostburg State University, the University of Nebraska at Kearney, and Colorado State University; and for 32 years at BYU. During his career at BYU, Oaks served as the chair for the Theatre and Media Arts department (1980-1993) and as Associate Dean of the College of Fine Arts and Communications (2000-2002), after which he assumed Emeritus status.

Dr. Harold R. Oaks loves the theatre and teaching it to his students. He specialized in Theatre for Young Audiences, presenting papers and workshops in various parts of the world. He has directed over 48 college, university, and community theatrical productions. He was Chair of the Theatre Department at Brigham Young University for over 12 years, and helped found the Film program. He also founded the BYU Young Company (formerly known as the Whittlin’ Whistlin’ Brigade) and was its Artistic Director for 25 years. His students have worked in theatres and taught in schools, colleges, and universities across the United States.
Biography Charles "Chuck" Metten graduated from University of California, Los Angeles with a B.A. and a M.A. (1951, 1952), and from University of Iowa with a PhD in 1960. He began teaching at Brigham Young University in 1962, and later served as the department chair (1974-1979) in the Department of Theatre and Media Arts. Prior to serving as the department chair, he served as associate director of BYU's Honors Program from 1970-1972. Metten is known for developing BYU's first film courses.

Metten was also involved in the Hill Cumorah Pageant as an artistic director in 1988, with the additional responsibility to oversee the unified artistic creation of all aspects of the new pageant.

After 35 years at BYU, Metten retired in 1996 and later took a position at Southern Utah University, where he became the founding dean of the institution's College of Performing and Visual Arts. His time at SUU came to a close when Metten retired in 2004.

Arrangement

Materials have been arranged according to content.

Other Finding Aids

File-level inventory available online. http://files.lib.byu.edu/ead/XML/UA1180.xml

Repository Details

Part of the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Repository

Contact:
1130 HBLL
Brigham Young University
Provo Utah 84602 United States