Skip to main content

Broadcast Services reports, 1967-1971

 Sub-Series — Multiple Containers
Identifier: UA 558 Series 1 Sub-Series 6
Contains reports, correspondence, memorandums, and other materials related to KBYU and its broadcast partners. Materials date from between 1967 and 1971.

Dates

  • 1967-1971

Conditions Governing Access

Restricted. Closed for 50 years from the date of creation of the records, and thereafter open to the public in accordance with the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Restriction Policy. Requests to access restricted materials in the University Archives should be submitted to the University Archivist.

Conditions Governing Use

It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances.

Permission to publish material from the Broadcast Services records must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the Special Collections Board of Curators.

Extent

2 boxes

5 folders

Administrative History

Earl Glade was director of Broadcast Services from 1966-1972. Bruce Christensen was appointed director in 1972.

Broadcast Services produces radio and television programs for KBYU-FM, KBYU-TV, and commercial stations. It also assists in group viewing utilizing large screen TV, classroom TV, closed circuit operation and released tapes to stations through the University Broadcasting Service Network.

In 1958, BYU purchased an FM radio transmitter from Snow College and was given licence to operate in 1960 under the call number of KBRG-FM. The director of the radio and TV center at this was T.M. Williams who served in this capacity until 1966. June 1961, BYU bought the KLOR franchise and began operating KBYU-TV on channel 11.

During 1958, ground was broken in Carterville for a new Motion Picture studio, Broadcast Services, the Photo Studio, and the Audio-Visual Center. A devastating fire caused extensive damage to this building in 1964. In 1965, the four programs consolidated to form the Division of Communication Services. Darrel J. Monson was named head of the department.

From 1966 to 1972, Earl J. Glade Jr. served as director of the Broadcast Services department and was responsible for introducing video-taped television instruction into the classrooms. In 1972, Bruce L. Christensen was appointed director and is presently serving in that position.

Other Finding Aids

A more detailed finding aid is available in print in the repository.
Other Finding Aids File-level inventory available online. http://files.lib.byu.edu/ead/XML/UA558.xml

Repository Details

Part of the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Repository

Contact:
1130 HBLL
Brigham Young University
Provo Utah 84602 United States