Skip to main content

Department of Chemical Engineering received correspondence, 1972-1990

 Sub-Series
Identifier: UA 375 Series 1 Sub-Series 1
Documenting twenty years of the history of the Chemical Engineering Department at Brigham Young University, this collection includes a range of materials from department correspondence to the various research and experiment of both faculty and students.

Includes correspondence and memos from the chairman's office, minutes of meetings, building floor plans, and information concerning policies and activities of the department.

Of special interest is series 29, the Calvin H. Bartholomew research and publications. Dr. Bartholomew has researched catalysis and combusion for the past 38 years and currently teaches courses about kinetics, catalysis, catalyst deactivation, air pollution control, creativity, and engineering materials. Dr. Bartholomew also created the BYU Catalysis Laboratory and his influence can be seen not only in the series 29, but in the information on catalyst research that permeates the collection.

Dates

  • Other: 1972-1990

Conditions Governing Access note

Restricted. Closed for 50 years from the date of creation of the records, and thereafter open to the public in accordance with the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Restriction Policy. Requests to access restricted materials in the University Archives should be submitted to the University Archivist.

Conditions Governing Use note

It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances.

Permission to publish material from the Department of Chemical Engineering records must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.

Extent

10 folders

Biographical History

Brigham Young University Department of Chemical Engineering.

The teaching of Chemical Engineering at Brigham Young University was officially initiated in 1955 with the renaming of the Department of Chemistry to the Department of Chemistry and Chemical Engineering. Only 1 full-time faculty member taught the chemical engineering courses at that time. In 1958, a separate Department of Chemical Engineering was formed, by this time with 3 faculty members. The undergraduate program was first accredited in 1961 and has been accredited ever since. A Masters degree in chemical engineering was approved in 1962, and the PhD program received approval in 1968. From those beginnings, the department has grown to its present size of 14 full-time faculty, around 350 undergraduate students, and approximately 45 graduate students.

Information quoted from A Brief History of the BYU Chemical Engineering Department found at http://www.et.byu.edu/cheme/pages/department.php

Other Finding Aids note

While this finding aid provides only a series and sub-series level description, a more detailed finding aid is available in print in the repository.
Other Finding Aids File-level inventory available online. http://files.lib.byu.edu/ead/XML/UA375.xml

Repository Details

Part of the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Repository

Contact:
1130 HBLL
Brigham Young University
Provo Utah 84602 United States