Skip to main content

Native American Educational Outreach Programs photographs, approximately 1954-1990

 Series — Multiple Containers
Identifier: UA 1011 Series 5

Scope and Contents

Contains thousands of photographs of Native Americans from various reservations participating in both traditional and modern cultural events. Includes individual and group portraits as well as candid shots. Also includes photographs that capture programs and conferences with Native Americans. Some materials are reprints of photonegatives, reproduced in 2019. Materials dated approximately 1954 to 1990.

Dates

  • approximately 1954-1990

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

Restricted. Closed for 50 years from the date of creation of the records, and thereafter open to the public in accordance with the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Restriction Policy. Requests to access restricted materials in the University Archives should be submitted to the University Archivist.

Conditions Governing Use

It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from the Native American Educational Outreach Programs records must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the Special Collections Coordinating Committee.

Administrative History

Native American Educational Outreach Programs (1989-2011) was a program affiliated with Brigham Young University that provided educational support services to Native Americans.

Native American Educational Outreach Programs replaced the Institute of American Indian Services and Research on September 1, 1989. The new program was part of Brigham Young University's Division of Continuing Education. It focused more explicitly on promoting education and extending existing university services to service external programs. The program strived to promote the completion of high school and college education among Native Americans. In accordance with this goal, the Native American Educational Outreach Programs facilitated courses and workshops for Native American individuals and tribes. They serviced Native Americans in both the United States and Canada. Native American Educational Outreach Programs ended in May 2011.

Administrative History

The Institute of American Indian Services and Research (1971-1989) provided Native Americans with educational opportunities and resources.

The Institute of Lamanite Research and Services, also known as the Institute of American Indian Studies and Research, was renamed the Institute of American Indian Services and Research in 1971. Spencer W. Kimball suggested the name change in order to shift the program's emphasis from researching or studying Native Americans to serving them. The Institute remained affiliated with Brigham Young University, but in 1972 it was transferred from the General College to the Division of Continuing Education, where it continued to extend educational opportunities to Native Americans in the United States, Canada, and Mexico. Brigham Young University replaced the institute with Native American Educational Outreach Programs on September 1, 1989. The original program broke off from the university and now operates independently as American Indian Services, a non-profit charity organization.

Administrative History

The Institute of Lamanite Research and Services (1960-1971) was a program affiliated with Brigham Young University to extend educational opportunities to Native Americans.

The Institute of Lamanite Research and Services was founded by collaborative efforts between the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and Brigham Young University. Spencer W. Kimball laid the foundation for the institute's creation in 1960 and was named honorary chairman. The Institute of Lamanite Research and Services was also known as the Institute of American Indian Studies and Research. The institute utilized university resources to promote Indian self-help programs on various Indian reservations and to support programs for development in agriculture, small businesses, vocational training, employment, home management, and alcoholism. The Institute of Lamanite Research and Services was renamed the Institute of American Indian Services and Research in 1971.

Administrative History

The Bureau of Indian Affairs (BIA), established in 1824, facilitates relationships between the United States and federally-recognized tribes.

It is the oldest agency of the United States Department of the Interior with roots that reach back to the Continental Congress. After its creation, the BIA assisted in negotiating treaty agreements between the United States and various tribes in the late 18th and 19th centuries. The BIA also assists in the implementation of Federal laws. The BIA provides services directly or through contracts, grants, or compacts to American Indians and Alaska Natives. The BIA also manages the care and administration of millions of acres of land held in trust by the United States for American Indians, Indian tribes, and Alaska Natives. The Bureau of Indian Affairs mission is to: "enhance the quality of life, to promote economic opportunity, and to carry out the responsibility to protect and improve the trust assets of American Indians, Indian tribes, and Alaska Natives."

Extent

1 carton

1 oversize box

29 folders

Language

English