Skip to main content

BYU Studies manuscripts and publication records, 1967-2006

 Series — Multiple Containers
Identifier: UA 1211 Series 2
Contains manuscripts considered for publication in BYU Studies, book reviews of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints literature, and design and layout plans for BYU Studies manuscripts. Includes materials for The Joseph Smith Papers Project, "Masada," "The First Mormon Temple," "The Truth, the Way, the Life," "Opening the Heavens," and other manuscripts, 1993-2005.

Dates

  • 1967-2006

Conditions Governing Access

Restricted. Closed for 50 years from the date of creation of the records, and thereafter open to the public in accordance with the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Restriction Policy. Requests to access restricted materials in the University Archives should be submitted to the University Archivist.

Conditions Governing Use

It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from BYU Studies records must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.

Extent

94 folders

7 oversize boxes

35 boxes

6 cartons

Administrative history

The Brigham Young University Studies organization was created in 1959 by a group of scholars whose mission was to produce scholarly religious literature. This organization was placed under the direction of the College of Humanities from 1982 to 1993. While in the College of Humanities, the BYU Studies journal was directed by the journal editor, who was under the direction of the college dean. The administrative structure of the organization consisted of an editorial board composed of from various disciplines review submissions, assign peer reviewers, and plan upcoming events. An advisory board provides long-term vision and planning through its quarterly meetings. The organization is also influenced by the Academy, composed of one-hundred scholars from BYU and the larger LDS community who voluntarily work to promote LDS scholarship at BYU Studies. In 1993, BYU Studies left the College of Humanities and became part of the Associate Academic Vice President’s office, first under the direction of Gary Hooper, then Brent Webb.

In 2006, BYU Studies became part of the Neal A. Maxwell Institute for Religious Scholarship with M. Gerald Bradford functioning as Executive Director. Once the journal became associated with the Neal A. Maxwell Institute for Religious Scholarship, the Executive Director acted in the same capacity as a Dean of an academic department and the Director of BYU Studies and Editor-in-Chief functioned in the same capacity as a Department Chair. From its inception in 1959 the chief editors included Clinton F. Larson (1959 to 1967), Charles D. Tate, Jr., (1968 to 1983), Edward A. Geary, Jr. (1984-1991), and John W. Welch (1992- ).

Other Finding Aids

File-level inventory available online. http://files.lib.byu.edu/ead/XML/UA1211.xml

Creator

Repository Details

Part of the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Repository

Contact:
1130 HBLL
Brigham Young University
Provo Utah 84602 United States