Sherman, William T. (William Tecumseh), 1820-1891
- Existence: 1820 - 1891
William T. Sherman (1820-1891) was an American soldier and prominent Union general during the Civil War (1861-1865).
Found in 6 Collections and/or Records:
George A. and Elizabeth B. Custer papers
This collection includes miscellaneous correspondence of both Custers including military reports and orders, newspaper clippings, and two patents issued to G. A. Custer. Correspondents include Edwin. M. Stanton, Zachariah Chandler, Reuben E. Fenton, Andrew Johnson, Lawrence Barrett, William T. Sherman, Nelson A. Miles, B. O. Aylesworth, and A. B. Ostrander.
Edward M. Hayhurst correspondence and other material
Civil War correspondence of Edward M. Hayhurst to and from his family, including typescripts; as well as photographs, genealogical papers, and other family materials.
William T. Sherman correspondence with Frederick van Vliet
Handwritten and signed letters. On April 22, 1861 Frederick van Vliet at Fort Leavenworth, Kansas wrote to Sherman requesting his recommendation for a commission in the United States Army. Sherman wrote his reply on the same sheet of paper on April 25, 1861 at Saint Louis, Missouri. Sherman recommended van Vliet be made an officer of cavalry.
William T. Sherman letter
The William T. Sherman letter is addressed to Francis Amasa Walker and is dated August 20, 1874. At the time of the writing, Sherman was the Commander-in-Chief of the US Army. Sherman expresses his views on the topic of a book, and adds comments on the Mormon problem-suggesting that both Mormons and Indians must be assimilated into American society to survive the consequences of the westward movement.
Sketch of the life of Thomas Durham
Transcriptions of Hayhurst family letters, 1862-1938
Contains a compact disc with electronic transcriptions of Hayhurst family letters produced by Richard A. Meyer; edited printouts of the transcriptions created by Amanda Crandall, processor manuscript processing specialist in 2011-2012; and, edited transcriptions created through L. Tom Perry Special Collections' Transcribe program in 2016.
- Collection 5
- Archival Object 1
- Letters 4
- Military 4
- Politics, Government, and Law 4
- Immigration and American Expansion 2
- Pioneers 2
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 2
- Biography 1
- Church and state -- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints -- History -- 19th century 1
- Church music -- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints 1
- Clippings (Books, newspapers, etc.) 1
- Compact discs 1
- Family life 1
- Genealogies 1
- Home and Family 1
- Indians of North America -- Wars -- 1866-1895 1
- Little Bighorn, Battle of the, Mont., 1876 1
- Mormon handcart companies 1
- Mormons -- Emigration and immigration -- History -- 19th century 1
- Mormons -- Utah -- Parowan 1
- Parowan (Utah) -- History 1
- Photographs 1
- Polygamy -- Religious aspects -- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints 1
- Social Life and Customs 1
- Soldiers -- United States -- Biography -- Sources 1
- Typescripts 1
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Campaigns 1
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Literary collections 1
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Personal narratives, Union 1
- Visions 1 ∧ less