Marcus, Gertrude L. (Gertrude Levin), 1885-1955
- Existence: 1885 - 1955
Gertrude Levin Marcus (1885-1955) was the founder and president of the Salt Lake City Unit of the Women's National Aeronautical ASsociation and wife of Salt Lake City mayor Louis Marcus.
Gertrude Levin Marcus was born in 1885 in Chicago, Illinois to Hyman and Jennie Shocken Levin. She lived in Pueblo, Colorado until her marriage to Louis Marcus in Salt Lake City, Utah on January 16, 1912. On April 22, 1919, she gave birth to Louis Howard Marcus, her only child.
Along with managing her household and raising her son, she was the founder and president of the Salt Lake City Unit of the Women's National Aeronautical Association, was one of the founders of the Town Club, and was a supporter of the Garden Club, as well as being a member of the Alta Club and the Salt Lake Country Club. Later she became a member of the board of directors of the Neighborhood House, as well as sponsored and supervised construction of the Neighborhood House Thrift Shop. She was commonly referred to in business correspondence and newspaper articles as Mrs. L. Marcus or Mrs. Louis Marcus.
She died on May 25, 1955 in Salt Lake City, Utah.
Citation:UPB files, July 3, 2013 (born 1885 in Chicago, Illinois; father Hyman Levin; mother Jennie Shocken Levin; lived in Pueblo, Colorado; married Louis Marcus in Salt Lake City on January 16, 1912; gave birth to son Louis Howard Marcus on April 22, 1919; one child; founder and president of the Salt Lake City unit of Women's National Aeronautical Association; founder of the Town Club; supporter of the Garden Club; member of the Alta Club; member of the Salt Lake Country Club; member of board of directors of the Neighborhood House; sponsored and supervised construction of the Neighborhood House Thrift Store; commonly referred to in business correspondence and newspapers as Mrs. L. Marcus or Mrs. Louis Marcus; died May 25, 1955 in Salt Lake City, Utah)
Found in 30 Collections and/or Records:
Materials include newspaper clippings, theatre programs, and pamphlets collected by various family members. Newspaper clippings include news about the family weddings, and articles on Louis, Gertrude, and L. Howard Marcus. Contains materials in Danish. Dated 1912-1984.
Materials include books belonging to Gertrude L. Marcus, including a telephone directory from the Winter of 1954-1955 for Salt Lake City and essays on raising children. One book is signed by the author. Dated 1913-1955.
Materials include personal and business letters received by and written by Gertrude L. Marcus, letters sent to her from soldiers during World War II, and daybooks which include excerpts from her own mother's diary. Dated 1907-1953.
Materials include memorial resolutions give to Gertrude L. Marcus on the death of her mother Jennie Levin in 1933, and her husband Louis Marcus in 1936. Dated 1933-1936.
Materials include the personal and business letters, and collected papers of Gertrude L. Marcus. Included are her papers concerning her involvement with the Women's National Aeronautical Association (W.N.A.A.), incoming letters concerning familial news, and various daybooks. Dated 1907-1955.
Materials include letters, papers, and collected items, including newspaper clippings, magazines, and photographs, pertaining to the W.N.A.A. and other things aeronautical. Dated 1932-1938.
Materials include books belonging to L. Howard Marcus. Some books are inscribe to Howard, and/or signed by the author. Dated approximately 1930-1976.
Papers relating to L. Howard Marcus's employment and business interests, including various resumes, and his employment application to work for the government during World War II. Dated 1940-1979.
- Archival Object 29
- Collection 1
- Mayors -- Utah 24
- Aeronautics -- Utah -- History 23
- Jews -- Utah -- History 23
- Salt Lake City (Utah) -- Politics and government -- 20th century 23
- Women -- Utah -- Salt Lake City -- Societies and clubs -- History 23
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Jews -- Utah 23
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Utah 23
- Salt Lake City (Utah) -- History -- 20th century 15
- Letters 11
- Home and Family 9
- Images 9
- Motion picture actors and actresses 9
- Motion picture studios 9
- Social Life and Customs 9
- Family life 8
- Photographs 8
- Clippings (Books, newspapers, etc.) 5
- Books 4
- Daybooks 3
- Family records 3
- Paintings 3
- Pamphlets 3
- Programs 3
- Business records 2
- Certificates 2
- Opera 2
- Postcards 2
- Scrapbooks 2
- Stock certificates 2
- Theater 2
- Aeronautics 1
- Aeronautics -- Photographs 1
- American drama 1
- Audits 1
- Autobiographies 1
- Business enterprises -- Utah 1
- Businessmen -- Utah -- Salt Lake City -- Correspondence 1
- Catalogs 1
- Christian leadership -- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints 1
- Christmas cards 1
- Comic books, strips, etc. 1
- Correspondence 1
- Education, Higher 1
- Essays 1
- Europe -- Description and travel 1
- Film posters 1
- Finance, Personal -- Utah 1
- Financial records 1
- Flags 1
- Funeral rites and ceremonies -- Utah -- Salt Lake City -- History 1
- History -- Aeronautics 1
- Insurance -- Utah 1
- Negatives 1
- Papers (Documents) 1
- Personal papers 1
- Posters 1
- Publications 1
- Receipts (Financial records) 1
- Resolutions, Legislative 1
- Salt Lake City (Utah) -- Business 1
- Schedules (Time plans) 1
- Scrapbooks -- United States 1
- Sketches 1
- South America -- Description and travel 1
- Souvenirs (Keepsakes) 1
- Sports 1
- Tahiti (French Polynesia : Island) -- Description and travel 1
- Tax records 1
- Tax returns 1
- Telegrams 1
- Theater programs 1
- Theater programs -- History -- Sources 1
- Theaters -- Utah -- Salt Lake City -- Finance 1
- Theatrical companies -- Utah -- History 1
- Travel 1
- Travelers -- Photographs 1
- Wills 1
- Wills -- Utah -- History -- Sources 1
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Correspondence 1
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Women 1 + ∧ less