Carter, William A. (William Alexander), 1818-1881
- Existence: 1818 - 1881
William A. Carter (1818-1881) was a businessman and judge at Fort Bridger, Wyoming.
William Alexander Carter was born to Lucinda Washington Alexander and John Wormeley Carter on April 15, 1818 in Prince William County, Virginia. Around 1857 to 1858 William A. Carter came with Johnston's Army as a sutler, or storekeeper, to Fort Bridger, Wyoming. Carter and his wife, Mary Eliza Hamilton, had six children: Ada, Anna, Lulie, Roberta, William A. and Edgar. He stayed at Fort Bridger with his family rebuilding and restocking the fort. One of the region's early businessmen, Carter was involved in mining, oil, logging, and cattle ranching, and he also operated a sawmill. He raised hay and grain on the land surrounding the Fort to fill contracts with the government. Carter was soon known as Mr. Fort Bridger, and became Wyoming's first millionaire. In addition to his business activities Carter was justice of the peace and probate judge for Green River County.
Citation:FamilySearch, via WWW, Mar. 31 2017 (William Alexander Carter; b. Apr. 15 1818 in Prince William County, Virginia; d. Nov. 7 1881 at Ft. Bridger, Wyoming; m. Mary Eliza Hamilton 1848; nine children; parents Lucinda Washington Alexander and John Wormeley Carter)
Legends of America, via WWW, Mar. 31 2017 (Came to Fort Bridger with Johston's Army; Sutler; Mr. Fort Bridger; Wyoming's first millionaire; judge)
Found in 4 Collections and/or Records:
This collection includes several personal and business letters between 1863 and 1925, and letters of condolence at the time of Carter's death in 1881. In addition there is an undated map of Fort Bridger detailing the water lines and buildings.
A receipt for $8.75 from William Alexander Carter of Fort Bridger, Wyoming, paid "in full of account to date," signed by Williams Brothers, Morgan City, Utah, dated September 3, 1880.
Series comprised of letters, news clippings, legal documents, a map, and diaries which give insight into William A. Carter, and Fort Bridger activities between 1857 and 1925.