Bennett, John Cook, 1804-1867
- Existence: 1804 - 1867
Found in 8 Collections and/or Records:
Includes correspondence with Dr. Frederick C. Waite and Dale L. Morgan, printed material, and numerous notes and references relative to the life and activities of John C. Bennett.
Contains Gilbert Fulton's personal notes and extensive research over doctrinal and church history topics for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Various topics include polygamy, Joseph Smith, and John C. Bennett controversies. His collections of text from other sources is a large portion of the collection, including photocopies from newspapers, magazines, members' accounts, and prophets of the Church. Materials dated 1942 to 1986.
Handwritten and printed summonses for Joseph Smith, first president of the Mormon Church, and John C. Bennett, and apostle in the Mormon Church. Also included is a receipt from Emma Hale Smith, first wife of Joseph Smith, made out to Thomas Sharp.
Typewritten history which traces the provenance of the manuscript and its use as an historical source. The manuscript concerns the trial of John C. Bennett. Collection also includes a copy of the trial manuscript.
Photocopies of handwritten minutes taken at the meetings of the Nauvoo Masonic Lodge in Nauvoo, Illinois, from October 15, 1841 to May 6, 1842. The documents include rolls of those present. The items were signed by Hyrum Smith and by the secretary, John C. Bennett. Contains two copies. Dated 1841-1842.
Photocopies of handwritten letters. One of which is addressed to John C. Bennett, Mormon Apostle and mayor of Nauvoo, Illinois, in which Rigdon announces his resignation as a city coucilman. Rigdon also writes to the state legislature of Pennsylvania seeking redress for the persectutions suffered by the Mormons in Missouri.
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints 3
- Material Types 3
- Church Government 2
- Civil Procedure and Courts 2
- Freemasonry -- Religious aspects -- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints 2
- Latter Day Saints -- Illinois -- Nauvoo -- History 2
- Letters 2
- Nauvoo (Ill.) -- History 2
- Photocopies 2
- Politics, Government, and Law 2
- Social Life and Customs 2
- Artifacts 1
- Castleton (Vt.) 1
- City and Town Life 1
- Clippings (Books, newspapers, etc.) 1
- Correspondence 1
- Dental instruments and apparatus 1
- Education -- Massachusetts -- Boston 1
- Education -- Ohio University -- Curricula -- 1841 1
- Education -- West Virginia -- Wheeling 1
- Ex-church members -- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints -- Correspondence 1
- Freemasonry -- Illinois -- Nauvoo 1
- Historians 1
- Home and Family 1
- Latter Day Saint churches -- Apostles -- History 1
- Latter Day Saint churches -- Controversial literature 1
- Latter Day Saint churches -- Presidents -- History 1
- Latter Day Saints -- Missouri -- History 1
- Manuscripts 1
- Marriage licenses 1
- Minutes (Records) 1
- Nauvoo (Ill.) 1
- Notes 1
- Polk City (Iowa) 1
- Polygamy -- Religious aspects -- Church of Jesus Christ (Strangites) -- History 1
- Polygamy -- Utah -- History 1
- Receipts (Acknowledgments) 1
- Religion 1
- Scrapbooks 1
- Summonses 1 + ∧ less