Brigham Young University. Department of Business Management (1958-1983)
- Existence: 1958 - 1983
The Department of Business Management (1958-1983) was an instructional unit at Brigham Young University.
In 1958 the Brigham Young University College of Commerce combined the departments of Marketing, Industrial Management, and Finance and Banking, into the Department of Business Management. The department allowed students the choice of emphasis in finance and banking, industrial management, and marketing. During its years of operation the following served as department chairmen: Clinton L. Oaks (1958-1960), Parley M. Pratt (1961-1963), Sterling D. Sessions (1964-1965), L. Brent Eagar (1966-1969), Ivan T. Call (1970-1979), H. Keith Hunt (1979-1981). In 1981-1982 the Institute of Business Management was established, and remained active after the dissolution of the department in 1983.
The Department of Business Management was responsible for the teaching of courses on the class of managerial accounting and control, personal finance, principles of salesmanship, industrial organization and management, commercial law, principles of marketing, financial administration, industrial purchasing, human relations in administration, general insurance, investments, corporation finance, real estate and urban land economics, advertising, retailing, wholesaling and industrial marketing, marketing research, problems in production- manufacturing processes, problems in production- manpower management, production control, personnel management, industrial quality control, management of production facilities, advanced production methods, industrial planning and forecasting, problems in marketing, executive lectures, industry analysis, problems in retail store management, problems in sales management, advanced problems in marketing research, life insurance, property and casualty insurance, real estate administration, management of financial institutions, investment management, modern corporate problems, problems in business management and the thesis for master's degree program.
Citation:BYU Organizational History Project, website viewed Dec. 2, 2010 (College of Commerce combined Marketing, Industrial Management, and Finance and Banking departments into Department of Business Management, 1958; department chairmen: Clinton L. Oaks (1958-1960), Parley M. Pratt (1961-1963), Sterling D. Sessions (1964-1965), L. Brent Eagar (1966-1969), Ivan T. Call (1970-1979), H. Keith Hunt (1979-1981); Institute of Business Management established 1981-1982, continued after dissolution of department in 1983; name changed back to Department of Business Management in 1997; provided instruction in finance, banking, industrial management, marketing)
Found in 6 Collections and/or Records:
Department of Business Management records
Contains correspondence, faculty and student files, financial records, and accreditation reports associated with the Department of Business Management. Dates range from 1980 to 2010.
Department of Journalism records
Collection includes weekly newspaper readership studies based on representative Utah newspapers, conducted by the department of marketing and journalism.
M. Charles Faux business management case papers
Contains cases prepared by Faux and his students in business management concerning various manufacturing companies and corporations. Materials date from between 1956 and 1960.
Institute of Business Management administrative records, 1980-1992
Contains department records from the Department of Business Management. These materials include correspondence related to Business Management classes and faculty, faculty files, student files for classes and presentations, and travel reports. Dates range from 1980 to 1992.
Münsteraner Marketing-Symposium discussions
This is a compilation of speeches delivered at the 1st Annual Marketing Symposium at BYU, 1949.
A study of the radio listening habits of the people in Utah County, Utah
Study conducted by Weldon J. Taylor, instructor, concerning the radio listening habits of the people in Utah County, Utah with the assistance of Alpha Kappa Psi.