Skip to main content

Brigham Young University. College of Nursing

 Organization

Dates

  • Existence: 1958-

Administrative History

The College of Nursing (1958-) is a college at Brigham Young University.

The School of Nursing was renamed the College of Nursing in 1958. The college existed under a humanistic approach to nursing, focusing on the intrinsic worth of the individual, his or her ability to function in an environment, to be interdependent, and to operate independently. The college first allowed students into the baccalaureate program with advanced standing beginning in the fall of 1966. The following individuals have served as deans of the college: L. Bernice Chapman (1959-1960), Beulah Ream Allen (1961-1965), Lennia Morrison (1966-1967), Elaine Murphy (1968-1971), Maxine J. Cope (1972-1980), Elaine D. Dyer (1980-1987), June Leifson (1987-1994), Sandra Rogers (1994-2000), Elaine S. Marshall (2000-2007), and Mary Williams (2007-).

In September of 1963, the associate degree in the College of Nursing was established, making it one of the few institutions in the country to offer an associate degree in conjunction with a four-year program. During the late 1960s, the college faculty made a change in the curriculum, requiring students to learn the separate role of nursing in correlation to the reaction of an individual to varied circumstances affecting him socially, emotionally, physically, mentally, and/or spiritually, which can be referred to as the nursing model. The previous method of study was known as the medical model, which had students study and practice nursing in relation to specific diseases.

Citation

Brigham Young University Organizational History Project website, viewed Jul. 29, 2011 (College of Nursing; established, 1958; previously the School of Nursing; humanistic approach to nursing, focusing on the intrinsic worth of the individual, his or her ability to function in an environment, to be interdependent, and to operate independently. The college first allowed students into the baccalaureate program with advanced standing beginning in the Fall of 1966; deans of the college: L. Bernice Chapman (1959-1960), Beulah Ream Allen (1961-1965), Lennia Morrison (1966-1967), Elaine Murphy (1968-1971), Maxine J. Cope (1972-1980), Elaine D. Dyer (1980-1987), June Leifson (1987-1994), Sandra Rogers (1994-2000), Elaine S. Marshall (2000-2007), and Mary Williams (2007- ); in September of 1963, the associate degree in the College of Nursing was established, making it one of the few institutions in the country to offer an associate degree in conjunction with a four-year program; during the late 1960s, the college faculty made a change in the curriculum, requiring students to learn the separate role of nursing in correlation to the reaction of an individual to varied circumstances affecting him socially, emotionally, physically, mentally, and/or spiritually, which can be referred to as the nursing model; previous method of study was known as the medical model, which had students study and practice nursing in relation to specific diseases)

Found in 1 Collection or Record:

College of Nursing student records, 1983-1991

 Series
Identifier: UA 5396 Series 1
Scope and Contents Contains class lists, memorandums, correspondence, published bulletins, and other materials relating to student registration, course progress, evaluation, and recognition. Also includes information on college faculty and teaching assignments. Materials date from between 1983 and 1991.
Dates: 1983-1991