Brigham Young University. Department of Buildings and Grounds
The Department of Buildings and Grounds (1947-1954) coordinated the maintenance of Brigham Young University campus buildings and grounds.
The Department of Buildings and Grounds was established in 1947 under superintendent Leland M. Perry and became the Physical Plant Department in 1954. Various supervisors reported to the superintendence who reported to a vice president of the University.
The department was responsible for the following: installations, alterations, and maintenance of the campus communications systems, such as telephones, fire alarms, and the distribution of campus mail; custodial work in all campus buildings; landscaping, care, and maintenance of all grounds, vacant lots, and other property owned by the University, including parking and campus police; maintenance, operation, alterations, and repair of all plumbing, heating, ventilating, and electrical systems on University property; mechanical shops operated by the University; carpenter shop and mill operated by the University (this did not include academic shops); maintenance, repair, alterations, and up-keep of all University-owned buildings; all new construction on University-owned property; a central warehouse and receiving department for the University; engineering, design, and survey or inspection work pertaining to maintenance of new construction; perpetual inventory of all furniture and equipment of the University; custody, maintenance, and repair of all automotive and other mechanical equipment of the University; central key register and control for the entire University; management and operation of Wymount Village.
In 1954 the Department of Buildings and Grounds was renamed the Physical Plant Department.
Citation:BYU Organizational History Project, Nov. 9, 2011: Dept. of Buildings and Grounds (1947-1954; buildings and grounds maintenance; Leland M. Perry superintendent; Physical Plant Dept. in 1954; campus communiations systems, telephones, fire alarms, mail, custodial work, landscaping, property maintenance, construction, engineering, inventory, automative equipment, key register and control, wymount village)
Found in 11 Collections and/or Records:
Contains 54 negatives of the BYU track team and 54 prints made from those negatives. Also in the collection is a slide of the Monte L. Bean Museum and a negative of the BYU stadium.
Contains budget and accounting records including maintenance and operation status reports, proposals, Director's office records, grounds budget, policies and procedures, requisitions, facility improvements, requests, special project records, expenditures, and purchasing committee reports, 1947-1979.
Contains correspondence from the Physical Plant Department, including inter-campus mail, inter-office mail, date files, morning reports, weekly progress reports, and memos. Included are Sam Brewster's director files of chronological correspondence, 1947-1976.
Contains correspondence in the form of inter-campus mail and memos, date files, and morning reports. Correspondence covers topics including campus planning, fire and safety, security, policy, and architects, 1956-1980.
Contains audiocassettes from the director's office of the Physical Plant Department. Includes audiocassettes of songs and views of South Pacific, a devotional from Gordon B. Hinckley, and tapes of people such as Paul Knapp, George Moore, Darrell Monson, Frank Briogens, and others. Materials date from between approximately 1960 and 1980.
Contains general files from the Physical Plant Department including, records, histories, contracts, building documents, and other information from college sites such as, Brigham Young University, BYU-Hawaii, LDS Business College, Ogden Center, Ricks College, Weber College, and University of Utah. Materials dated from 1954 to 1976.
Contains records from the Physical Plant Department including correspondence, memos, blueprints, contracts, photographs, audio cassettes and program requirements. Materials date from 1946 to 1980.
Contains correspondence and memorandums regarding maintenance and upkeep of Allen Hall. Also includes cost estimates and a service contract, 1952-1972.
Records cover topics including inspections, inventory, contracting records, payment, line waivers, equipment, open houses, heating systems, modifications, remodeling, bidding, masonry, steam generators, and additions for several buildings at Brigham Young University. Also contains blueprints of the industrial education building in an oversize folder, 1946-1979.
Contains program requirements, memoranda, reports, budgets, and contracts between the parties responsible for the construction of the Dairy Products Lab, including Lorenzo S. Young and Partners and Tolboe Construction Company, 1950-1973.
- Archival Record 9
- Collection 2
- Facility management -- Utah -- Provo 8
- College buildings -- Utah -- Provo 7
- Memorandums 6
- Contracts 5
- Colleges and Universities 4
- Education 4
- Letters 4
- Reports 3
- Blueprints 2
- Budgets 2
- Campus planning -- Utah -- Provo 2
- Photographs 2
- Specifications 2
- Universities and colleges -- Utah -- Provo -- Safety measures 2
- Audiocassettes 1
- Clippings (Books, newspapers, etc.) 1
- Facility management 1
- Legal instruments 1
- Negatives 1
- Slides (Photography) 1
- Track and field athletes -- Utah -- Provo -- Photographs 1
- Universities and colleges -- Security measures 1 ∧ less