Skip to main content Skip to search Skip to search results

Brigham Young University. Department of Theology

 Organization

Dates

  • Existence: 1904-1910

Administrative History

The Department of Theology (1903-1910) was an academic instruction unit at Brigham Young University. The department taught courses on the history and doctrines of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, as well as philosophy and the psychology of religion.

The Department of Theology was established in 1904 in a renaming of the earlier Department of Theology and Ethics. The department was initially part of the College, and remained in the Church Teachers College when it was established in 1909. In 1910 it was renamed the Department of Theology and Religion.

The university president, George H. Brimhall, served as chair of the department.

Citation

Department of Theology records, 1909-1910

Brigham Young University organizational history, via WWW, June 5, 2020 (Department of Theology; previously Department of Theology and Ethics; part of College (1904-1909), Church Teachers College (1909-1910); renamed Department of Theology and Religion, 1910; taught courses in the history and doctrines of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, philosophy, and psychology of religion; department chair, George H. Brimhall)

Catalogues and announcements for the ... academic year, 1909: p. 29 (Department of Theology)

Not found: Catalogues and announcements for the ... academic year, 1903

Found in 2 Collections and/or Records:

George H. Brimhall letters

 File — Folder: 1
Identifier: UA 595
Scope and Contents Contains copies of two letters addressed to principles of LDS Seminaries. The letters ask for statistics on attendance, enrollment, and other information about the Seminary program. George Brimhall was, at the time, Director of the Department of Theology at BYU.

Department of Theology and Religion records

 Collection — Multiple Containers
Identifier: UA 222
Scope and Contents Contains class rolls from the Department of Theology and Religion and the Department of Theology, dating from 1910 to 1911.