Skip to main content

Brigham Young University. Department of Chemistry

 Organization

Dates

  • Existence: 1920 - 1994

Administrative History

The Department of Chemistry (1920-1994) was an instructional unit at Brigham Young University.

The Department of Chemistry was established and made a department within the School of Arts and Sciences in 1920 when the Church Teachers College was split. In 1921 the department became part of the College of Arts and Sciences, and was later transferred to the College of Physical and Engineering Sciences in 1954. In 1973, the department was moved into the College of Physical and Mathematical Sciences. The department was disbanded in 1995 to form the Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry. Department chairs included Charles E. Maw (1920-1945), Joseph K. Nicholes (1946-1956), H. Smith Broadbent (1955-1958), Keith P. Anderson (1958-1960); Albert D. Swenson (1960-1964); Loren C. Bryner (1964-1966); J. Rex Goates (1966-1968); K. LeRoi Nelson (1968-1972); Richard T. Hawkins (1973-1975); Eliot A. Butler (1975-1978); Nolan F. Mangelson (Acting Chair 1978-80, Chair 1980-1981); J. Bevan Ott (1981-1990); and Earl M. Woolley (1990-1994).

Citation:
Register to the records of the Department of Chemistry, 1971: t.p.

Email from the Dept., Jan. 16, 2002 (Dept. of Chemistry changed name to Dept. of Chemistry and Biochemistry in 1994)

BYU Organization Project website, via WWW, July 7, 2014 (Department of Chemistry; est. within the School of Arts and Sciences in 1920; 1921, department became part of College of Arts and Sciences; later transferred to the College of Physical and Engineering Sciences in 1954; 1973, department moved into College of Physical and Mathematical Sciences; disbanded in 1995, became Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry; chairs included Charles E. Maw (1920-1945), Joseph K. Nicholes (1946-1956), H. Smith Broadbent (1955-1958), Keith P. Anderson (1958-1960); Albert D. Swenson (1960-1964); Loren C. Bryner (1964-1966); J. Rex Goates (1966-1968); K. LeRoi Nelson (1968-1972); Richard T. Hawkins (1973-1975); Eliot A. Butler (1975-1978); Nolan F. Mangelson (Acting Chair 1978-80, Chair 1980-1981); J. Bevan Ott (1981-1990); and Earl M. Woolley (1990-1994))

Found in 33 Collections and/or Records:

Reed M. Izatt research correspondence, 1950-2008

 Series — Multiple Containers
Identifier: UA 5654 Series 8
Scope and Contents

Materials include correspondence, clippings from research publications, and research notes related to the research of Izatt from 1950-2008. Materials focus on the research of Izatt on his various chemistry specialties and his correspondence with colleagues on research. Additional material includes correspondence related to Izatt's work and research at the Thermochemical Institute.

Dates: 1950-2008

Syllabus and laboratory manual of general chemistry (Chemistry 4 and 5) at Brigham Young University / by Joseph K. Nicholes

 Item — Folder 1: [Barcode: 31197230345156]
Identifier: MSS 7077
Scope and Contents

Chemistry manual written by Joseph K. Nicholes for the Brigham Young University Department of Chemistry, and published in September 1939. The bound manual consists of 147 pages, and includes both a course syllabus and chemistry charts related to the course.

Dates: 1939

Leo P. Vernon research notes

 File — Volume 1
Identifier: UA 13
Scope and Contents

Contains research notes compiled by Leo P. Vernon.

Dates: 1953