Brigham Young University. Library
- Existence: approximately 1925 - 1961
The Brigham Young University Library (1925-1961) served as repository for the university collection of printed materials.
The university library was established in the Heber J. Grant building in 1925. The collections outgrew the Heber J. Grant building, necessitating the construction of the J. Reuben Clark Library, which was completed in 1961. Head librarians and directors of libraries were Anna K. Ollerton (1925-1948), Asael C. Lambert (1948-1951), Naomi Rich Earl (1951-1954), and S. Lyman Tyler (1954-1961).
Citation:BYU Organizational History, website viewed Oct. 19, 2012: Brigham Young University Library (1925-1961, repository collection printed materials, Heber J. Grant building 1925, J. Reuben Clark Library 1961, head librarians and directors Anna K. Ollorton (1925-1948), Asael C. Lambert (1948-1951), Naomi Rich Earl (1951-1954), S. Lyman Tyler (1954-1961))
Found in 39 Collections and/or Records:
Contains photographs from the 1924 Founder's Day celebration and the 1925 semicentennial celebration at Brigham Young University. Includes photographs of survivors from the original 1875 class, the parade, the dedication of the Heber J. Grant Library, and photographs from various other activities, 1924-1925.
Contains research and reference files, notes, drafts, minutes, correspondence, and other materials produced by Tyler during his career at Brigham Young University and the University of Utah. Includes information on Native American tribes, environmental issues, historiography, and Utah history. Also includes administrative records related to Utah educational and historical institutions. Materials date from between 1949 and 1979.
Contains research material and other files on Southwest Indian land and water rights, including copies of articles and books, court cases, legislation, treaties and other government documents, correspondence, and reports.
Typewritten and handwritten correspondence, brochures, and galley proofs for publications. The correspondence is chiefly with Fred A. Rosenstock of Denver, Colorado and deal with matters relating to the purchasing of rare books. The brochures and galley proofs relate to rare books that were being offered for sale by various dealers.
Contains newspaper clippings and news releases concerning Libraries at Brigham Young University from 1958 to 1998. Topics include the Glenn and Olive Nelson Library, the L. Tom Perry Special Collections, the building and administration of the Harold B. Lee Library, and Harold B. Lee Library friends, fund-raising and scholarships.