Skip to main content

Missionary Training Center (Provo, Utah)

 Organization

Dates

  • Existence: 1978-

Administrative History

The Missionary Training Center (1978- ) in Provo serves to train missionaries of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints before they depart to their specific assignments.

The Missionary Training Center began operation in 1978 to replace the Language Training Mission. The campus can house up to 4,000 missionaries at a time. Approximately fifty languages are taught at the MTC by staff composed mostly of returned missionaries.

Citation

Missionary vocabulary & phrases, 2006: t.p. (Missionary Training Center) found: Google website, 2007-08-23 (Missionary Training Center; hdqts.: Provo, Utah; also MTC)

Navajo dictionary for missionaries, 1979: t.p. (Missionary Training Center) verso t.p. (c[opyright] Brigham Young University)

Wikipedia, Apr. 20, 2012 (Missionary Training Center; Missionary Training Centers (MTCs) are centers devoted to training missionaries for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS Church). The flagship MTC is located in Provo, Utah, adjacent to the campus of Brigham Young University, a private university owned and operated by the church)

Encyclopedia of Mormonism, 1992: p. 913 (completed in 1978; replaced Language Training Mission)

Missionary Training Center, via WWW, Aug. 27, 2014 (About the MTC; houses up to 4000 missionaries; approximately 50 languages taught; staff composed mostly of returned missionaries; trains missionaries)

Found in 4 Collections and/or Records:

Ephraim Hatch bound volumes, 1875-1975

 Series
Identifier: UA 923 Series 1
Scope and Contents note Contains various photos.
Dates: Other: 1875-1975

Ephraim Hatch collection of university building histories, 1974-1985

 Sub-Series
Identifier: UA 923 Series 1 Sub-Series 2
Scope and Contents note Contains bound volumes of photographs and information of the different physical plants and campus buildings.
Dates: 1974-1985

Ephraim Hatch drafts for A History of the Brigham Young University Campus and the Department of Physical Plant, approximately 1975

 Sub-Series
Identifier: UA 923 Series 1 Sub-Series 1
Scope and Contents note Contains bound volumes of photographs of the univeristy campus and its development during the presidencies of various university presidents. Volumes assembled in approximately 1975.
Dates: approximately 1975

Ephraim Hatch collection on Brigham Young University campus development

 Collection — Multiple Containers
Identifier: UA 923
Scope and Contents Includes pictorial histories of building construction at BYU, 1875-1975, arranged chronologically by university president; pictorial survey of BYU Physical Plant Dept., 1974; pictorial histories of individual campus structures built and remodeled during 1970s and early 1980s; and photographs, slides, and negatives of campus buildings and personnel, and other schools operated by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Includes views of construction of Provo and Jordan River temples....
Dates: approximately 1974-1991