Skip to main content

Missionary Training Center (Provo, Utah)

 Organization

Dates

  • Existence: 1978-

Administrative History

The Missionary Training Center (1978- ) in Provo serves to train missionaries of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints before they depart to their specific assignments.

The Missionary Training Center began operation in 1978 to replace the Language Training Mission. The campus can house up to 4,000 missionaries at a time. Approximately fifty languages are taught at the MTC by staff composed mostly of returned missionaries.

Citation

Missionary vocabulary & phrases, 2006: t.p. (Missionary Training Center) found: Google website, 2007-08-23 (Missionary Training Center; hdqts.: Provo, Utah; also MTC)

Navajo dictionary for missionaries, 1979: t.p. (Missionary Training Center) verso t.p. (c[opyright] Brigham Young University)

Wikipedia, Apr. 20, 2012 (Missionary Training Center; Missionary Training Centers (MTCs) are centers devoted to training missionaries for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS Church). The flagship MTC is located in Provo, Utah, adjacent to the campus of Brigham Young University, a private university owned and operated by the church)

Encyclopedia of Mormonism, 1992: p. 913 (completed in 1978; replaced Language Training Mission)

Missionary Training Center, via WWW, Aug. 27, 2014 (About the MTC; houses up to 4000 missionaries; approximately 50 languages taught; staff composed mostly of returned missionaries; trains missionaries)

Found in 1 Collection or Record:

Office of the President correspondence with Church Educational System, 1979-1989

 Series — Multiple Containers
Identifier: UA 1030 Series 7
Scope and Contents Contains correspondence with various subsets of the Church Educational System including LDS Business College, BYU-Hawaii, Ricks College, Utah Technical College, MTC, Polynesian Cultural Center, and seminaries and institutes. Covers project funding, management reports, accreditation reviews, and financial information. Also includes information on policy enforcement, award nominees, and faculty records. Materials date from 1979-1989.
Dates: 1979-1989