Skip to main content

Missionary Training Center (Provo, Utah)

 Organization

Dates

  • Existence: 1978-

Administrative History

The Missionary Training Center (1978- ) in Provo serves to train missionaries of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints before they depart to their specific assignments.

The Missionary Training Center began operation in 1978 to replace the Language Training Mission. The campus can house up to 4,000 missionaries at a time. Approximately fifty languages are taught at the MTC by staff composed mostly of returned missionaries.

Citation

Missionary vocabulary & phrases, 2006: t.p. (Missionary Training Center) found: Google website, 2007-08-23 (Missionary Training Center; hdqts.: Provo, Utah; also MTC)

Navajo dictionary for missionaries, 1979: t.p. (Missionary Training Center) verso t.p. (c[opyright] Brigham Young University)

Wikipedia, Apr. 20, 2012 (Missionary Training Center; Missionary Training Centers (MTCs) are centers devoted to training missionaries for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS Church). The flagship MTC is located in Provo, Utah, adjacent to the campus of Brigham Young University, a private university owned and operated by the church)

Encyclopedia of Mormonism, 1992: p. 913 (completed in 1978; replaced Language Training Mission)

Missionary Training Center, via WWW, Aug. 27, 2014 (About the MTC; houses up to 4000 missionaries; approximately 50 languages taught; staff composed mostly of returned missionaries; trains missionaries)

Found in 2 Collections and/or Records:

Student Auxiliary Services general slides, approximately 1970-1986

 Series — Carton: 2, Folder: 12-15
Identifier: UA 5595 Series 7
Scope and Contents Contains slides relating to the general functioning of Student Auxiliary Services including slides of the performing arts and various student activities. Also includes slides of faculty and employees as well as slides of campus buildings and aerial shots of Utah Valley and Provo, circa 1970-1986.
Dates: approximately 1970-1986

Student Auxiliary Services photographs and negatives

 Collection
Identifier: UA 5595
Scope and Contents Contains slides, photographs, and negatives of the Student Auxiliary Services and its earlier derivatives. Slides and photographs are of food services, the Brigham Young University campus, the Missionary Training Center, training materials, landscapes, as well as various general slides and photographs relating to the activities of the organization, approximately 1957-1999.
Dates: approximately 1957-1999