Skip to main content

Missionary Training Center (Provo, Utah)

 Organization

Dates

  • Existence: 1978-

Administrative History

The Missionary Training Center (1978- ) in Provo serves to train missionaries of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints before they depart to their specific assignments.

The Missionary Training Center began operation in 1978 to replace the Language Training Mission. The campus can house up to 4,000 missionaries at a time. Approximately fifty languages are taught at the MTC by staff composed mostly of returned missionaries.

Citation

Missionary vocabulary & phrases, 2006: t.p. (Missionary Training Center) found: Google website, 2007-08-23 (Missionary Training Center; hdqts.: Provo, Utah; also MTC)

Navajo dictionary for missionaries, 1979: t.p. (Missionary Training Center) verso t.p. (c[opyright] Brigham Young University)

Wikipedia, Apr. 20, 2012 (Missionary Training Center; Missionary Training Centers (MTCs) are centers devoted to training missionaries for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS Church). The flagship MTC is located in Provo, Utah, adjacent to the campus of Brigham Young University, a private university owned and operated by the church)

Encyclopedia of Mormonism, 1992: p. 913 (completed in 1978; replaced Language Training Mission)

Missionary Training Center, via WWW, Aug. 27, 2014 (About the MTC; houses up to 4000 missionaries; approximately 50 languages taught; staff composed mostly of returned missionaries; trains missionaries)

Found in 1 Collection or Record:

Negatives of the Brigham Young University lower campus buildings

 Collection — Multiple Containers
Identifier: MSS 4089
Scope and Contents This collection contains 5 nitrate negatives, 225 35-mm black and white negatives, and 10 photographic prints of negatives. All of the images are of lower-campus buildings of Brigham Young University between 1914 and 1989. Buildings included in the images are the Brigham Young Academy, the Old Missionary Training School, and the College Hall. Many of the photographs are of the interiors of these buildings. One of the nitrate negatives is of the May Ward Food Laboratory taken in 1914.
Dates: 1914-1989