Skip to main content

Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Salem Ward (Salem, Utah)



  • Existence: 1877 - 1956

Administrative History

The Salem Ward in Salem, Utah was created in 1877 and served members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Salem and in the surrounding areas of Payson and Spanish Fork.

The Church of Jesus Christ began several businesses in the Salem, Utah area in the 1860s, and the Salem Ward was formed in 1877. The first bishop of the Salem Ward was Robert H. Davis. Throughout its history, the Salem Ward belonged to the Utah Stake (1877-1901), the Nebo Stake (1901-1924), and the Palmyra Stake (1924-1956). In 1956 the stake and ward boundaries changed again, and the original Salem Ward ended as it split into the Salem 1st and 2nd Wards. Both successive wards formed part of the Spanish Fork Stake.

UPB files, March 13, 2018 (Names of stakes: Utah Stake, Spanish Fork Stake)

Salem City website, via WWW, March 13, 2018 (History of ward: Salem Ward formed 1877; ward split in 1956), via WWW, March 15, 2018 (dates of stake organization, current stake: Salem West Stake)

Encyclopedic History of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, via WWW, March 15, 2018 (History of Salem Ward; name of Bishop; belonged to Palmyra Stake)

FamilySearch, via WWW, March 13, 2018 (Name of Nebo stake)

Found in 2 Collections and/or Records:

Salem meetinghouse account book

 File — Folder: 1
Identifier: MSS SC 2158
Scope and Contents

Handwritten and bound account book containing information regarding the financial dealings of the Salem Ward including lists of donations.

Dates: 1895-1900

Salem Ward records

 Collection — Folder: 1
Identifier: MSS 9113
Content Description

Materials include a collection of records related to the Salem Ward in Salem, Utah. Includes documents related to the founding of the ward in the late 1800s, including a copy of the Articles of Incorporation, some membership certificates, financial records of the ward Relief Society, stock certificates for Salem Irrigation Canal Company from the 1940s, and documents related to the construction of a meetinghouse in 1970. Dated 1873-1970.

Dates: 1873-1970